WAIT! Without signing in or registering onto the forum, you will only be able to see a limited amount of our forum's content. To see everything that we have to offer, please sign in or register. If you are new to the forum and wish to register, it is recommended to be at least 13 years old as profanity and mature discussion goes without prohibition under normal circumstances. Thank you!

HomeFAQCalendarSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Forum revival in process, stay tuned!
If you have trouble logging in or have lost your password, email an administrator.
If you have an idea on how to improve the forum, please post your suggestions!

Share | 

A new theory: Substitute for personality?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Patches
Advisor

PostSubject: A new theory: Substitute for personality?   Mon 30 Jan 2012, 8:01 pm

In one of my IRL games we're trying something new. I'd implement it in one of my games, but I'm not planning on running anything new for a while.

But here's the idea: Beliefs and instincts. On the sheet, each player picks a few beliefs (say, 3) and an instinct or two.

Beliefs are general guiding principles. They could be related to the character's overall goals or just general ways of dealing with the world. They give the player a direction to RP in and give everyone a succinct idea of what the character is about. Examples of beliefs would be "It's only wrong if you get caught," "The past has an answer to everything; you just have to know where to look," and "(insert faction here) is too caught up in infighting to make any real change."

Instincts are just that. They're the first thing that's likely to occur to your character in a given situation. So, if your instinct was "When entering a room, check for traps," and the GM tells you there's a spike trap, you can reasonably say that you avoid the trap by citing your instinct. Another instinct might be "At the first sign of trouble, ready my sword."

Meanwhile, the general consensus seems to be moving toward personalities being baggage on a sheet that frequently gets ignored. I think this might be something that could be shorter and sweeter, without the high chances of being ignored right after the sheet gets made.

Thoughts?

_______________________________________________________________________________________
WARNING: I AM UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF
MONSTER ENERGY

Anything posted on this account before 7/14/2012 was actually Snowy.
Having log in problems? E-MAIL me at rpprojecthelp@gmail.com!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rpproject.forumotion.com
Shade
Common Poster

PostSubject: Re: A new theory: Substitute for personality?   Mon 30 Jan 2012, 8:07 pm

Seems like a good idea to me.

_______________________________________________________________________________________
Quote :
Shade, don't make fun of him, it's not his fault. We both know your swag is so great even straight men want a piece of you.

This signature WASN'T made by me. Thanks to MGS True Fans
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lUN_Cat16
Common Poster

PostSubject: Re: A new theory: Substitute for personality?   Mon 30 Jan 2012, 8:15 pm

Seems pretty good. The only way I can see for instincts to go wrong is if someone deliberately uses them to their advantage. You know stuff like "Has a knack for spotting danger" could easily be warped into "I KNOW WHERE EVERY BAD THING IS IN THIS DUNGEON BECAUSE INSTINCT".

Could just be my paranoia, but one would need to watch out for those things.

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ :

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Patches
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: A new theory: Substitute for personality?   Mon 30 Jan 2012, 8:21 pm

Yeah; that wouldn't be an instinct; that would be a skill. But good GM and common sense would be necessary as usual, yes.

WARNING: I AM UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF
MONSTER ENERGY

Anything posted on this account before 7/14/2012 was actually Snowy.
Having log in problems? E-MAIL me at rpprojecthelp@gmail.com!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rpproject.forumotion.com
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: A new theory: Substitute for personality?   Mon 30 Jan 2012, 8:45 pm

However, an instinct like "I always check the ceiling" can be a reasonable thing for someone with a "danger sense", and would help them avoid bad things.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dinh_AaronMk
User

PostSubject: Re: A new theory: Substitute for personality?   Wed 01 Feb 2012, 12:27 am

Being more of a civ type RPer myself I can't see how I could use this for newly starting nations. Although I could toss it into the spot about your faction's leader. Although I can't immediately say what relevance it would have. Beliefs most likely, instincts, that may be iffy.

For a general or officer more likely as those people are at such a fine micro-manageable level it would make sense, such as being sure to roll out with AA or something to that effect.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A new theory: Substitute for personality?   

Back to top Go down

A new theory: Substitute for personality?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1