WAIT! Without signing in or registering onto the forum, you will only be able to see a limited amount of our forum's content. To see everything that we have to offer, please sign in or register. If you are new to the forum and wish to register, it is recommended to be at least 13 years old as profanity and mature discussion goes without prohibition under normal circumstances. Thank you!
WAIT! Without signing in or registering onto the forum, you will only be able to see a limited amount of our forum's content. To see everything that we have to offer, please sign in or register. If you are new to the forum and wish to register, it is recommended to be at least 13 years old as profanity and mature discussion goes without prohibition under normal circumstances. Thank you!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Forum revival in process, stay tuned!
If you have trouble logging in or have lost your password, email an administrator.
If you have an idea on how to improve the forum, please post your suggestions!

Information gathering for project

Go down 
+6
Dragockon
ron
Shade
Szemetlada
Ømnivalence
Master of ImpZ
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Master of ImpZ
User
Master of ImpZ

Location : Looking up, wondering what is beyond the platinum star

Information gathering for project Empty
PostSubject: Information gathering for project   Information gathering for project I_icon_minitimeTue 10 Apr 2012, 7:11 pm

GPS coordinates, blood type, address, daily schedule... Err.... I mean....

Alrighty, so I had an idea. Was tried on the Sporum a few times, it is an interesting concept, but the main problem is, it is too freeform for a large audience. A thing where each person takes a turn writing a part of the story, and it continues from there. You always have that joker who makes random crap happen for no reason, and completely destroy any coherency you once had, which is what happened to the one on the Sporum. Leestriter joined it and did some amazing stuff with it, but alas, too freeform for everyone, and people ruined it.

I think however, that we are all mature enough here, to do the same thing, and keep coherency, have fun, and in general, make awesome plot arcs, and just an awesome story. Roleplays are cool, but just all that is moving so slow here. Time for something new and, hopefully good and interesting for everyone. I think it would be best if we can include everyone that wants in, not limit it to one niche or genre people like. Probably cannot make one thing everyone would love, but perhaps possible to include as many people as possible.

Okay now I am going too far, this is not meant as an OOC or planning. This is just collecting information to attempt and find a middle ground for as many people, so then an OOC can be made and we can go from there.

So, if everyone can, vote here that wants to attempt getting into this project. Can talk as much as you want on points, but please at least try and answer all the questions first. Even if you are not interested your input can still be useful, and you may become interested later as you see things take form.

I will number everything to make things more simple. I will inevitably miss something, so please feel free to point out stuff I will need to add and such.

1: Science fiction, Fantasy, or Realistic? Science fiction and fantasy do not just mean anything fantastical, can still be down to Earth. Realism means just like real life.

1.2: If you chose Science Fiction. How much is too much, and how much is too little? Do you need the science in the fiction explained out, or sound even realistic, or can you take the Plasma tachyonic capacitor at face value and not need anything about it answered? Does it need to be realistic like Firefly, or can it be as fantastic as Homestuck and you are fine with it? Any mid point?

1.3: If you answered Fantasy, how much is too much? Is subtle magic good for you, where there is no outright magic being used, even in attacks like fireballs or lightning? Or do you need fantastic magical powers flying around? Do you require fantastical magic like Harry Potter, or is the subtle and simple things like Lord of the Rings good enough for you? Any mid point?

1.4: Did you think you wanted to mix the genres? Like Science fiction and fantasy? Or fantasy in a realistic setting? Etc? How do you want that to go about?

2: Mythology. Most fiction has some form of mythos, unless it is deriving heavily from real life. So that comes to the next thing. Will we even have one? Will it be based on Earth mythology? Stuff we make up?

I am sure I missed stuff but I just need basics. Yes there are a ton more genres. But those are basics. Western can fall into Realistic, Sci fi, or Fantasy. To me, these are the three basics, and all other stuff can go from there. Anyways, again if I missed anything point it out, or if I need to add stuff, etc. Thanks.

Last edited by Master of ImpZ on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ømnivalence
Frequent Poster
Ømnivalence

PostSubject: Re: Information gathering for project   Information gathering for project I_icon_minitimeTue 10 Apr 2012, 7:13 pm

Wait what I'm slightly confused.

Mythology I guess?
Back to top Go down
Master of ImpZ
User
Master of ImpZ

PostSubject: Re: Information gathering for project   Information gathering for project I_icon_minitimeTue 10 Apr 2012, 7:24 pm

You answer question 1, and from there, one of the three questions . Like 1.2, 1.3, etc. One of those based off your answer of 1, and then you answer what you think is best with 2, how the stories mythos, if any, should work.
Back to top Go down
Ømnivalence
Frequent Poster
Ømnivalence

PostSubject: Re: Information gathering for project   Information gathering for project I_icon_minitimeTue 10 Apr 2012, 7:29 pm

1: Science fiction, Fantasy, or Realistic? Science fiction and fantasy do not just mean anything fantastical, can still be down to Earth. Realism means just like real life.

Fantastical

1.2: If you chose Science Fiction. How much is too much, and how much is too little? Do you need the science in the fiction explained out, or sound even realistic, or can you take the Plasma tachyonic capacitor at face value and not need anything about it answered? Does it need to be realistic like Firefly, or can it be as fantastic as Homestuck and you are fine with it? Any mid point?

I think things should have a semi realistic explanation of why they work, such that it's not a complete load of bullshit. It doesn't have to legitimately scientifically work, but it shouldn't just work because it works.

1.3: If you answered Fantasy, how much is too much? Is subtle magic good for you, where there is no outright magic being used, even in attacks like fireballs or lightning? Or do you need fantastic magical powers flying around? Do you require fantastical magic like Harry Potter, or is the subtle and simple things like Lord of the Rings good enough for you? Any mid point?

You don't even need to have magic. I think fantastical settings are nice. Rolling hills, long grass, a huge shimmering ocean. Essentially the entire world is New Zealand.

1.4: Did you think you wanted to mix the genres? Like Science fiction and fantasy? Or fantasy in a realistic setting? Etc? How do you want that to go about?

A Scientific Fantasy would be cool. Like a Fantastical World with Sciency stuff in it.

2: Mythology. Most fiction has some form of mythos, unless it is deriving heavily from real life. So that comes to the next thing. Will we even have one? Will it be based on Earth mythology? Stuff we make up?

Mythology is always really fun.
Back to top Go down
Szemetlada
Contributor
Szemetlada

PostSubject: Re: Information gathering for project   Information gathering for project I_icon_minitimeTue 10 Apr 2012, 7:46 pm

To be honest, I can enjoy all three. I quite enjoy making characters for sci fi and fantasy, particularly fantasy, but realism can be quite good if done right.

I'd prefer having things at least partially explained, so long as they make sense. I mean, It's no fun to have to read through fifteen pages of theoretical mumbo-jumbo to explain how the coffee machine you use once and never enters the story again works, but it can also get annoying if you try to do something too fancy and not even bother with how it got there : P I guess I prefer that things are only explained if their explanation is a part of the story.

I'm fine with anything so long as it has rules. Like in Paolini's Inheritance series, he did a very good job of fleshing out how magic worked and what exactly it could do. I prefer magic to be explained in a more in-depth way than science because... well, it's magic. : P

M'cool with whatever, though I do enjoy it when a story is 'genre-less:' in that it doesn't really take what genre it's 'supposed' to be in into account when it's progressing. Meaning like, you wouldn't remove elements of science from an RP that is widely recognized as a fantasy RP.

That all depends on how it's done. Since I can't really decide, I vote no, no mythology, but if we do it right it could be very nice.
Back to top Go down
Shade
Common Poster
Shade

PostSubject: Re: Information gathering for project   Information gathering for project I_icon_minitimeWed 11 Apr 2012, 3:43 pm

I would be interested in a modern epic. Resembling a Greek myth (the only example that comes to mind is O Brother Where Art Thou, we might want a more serious tone, though), perhaps with some traces of fantastical elements.

I wouldn't mind an element of the supernatural, and if we decide on supernatural elements I think we should either completely spell out its capabilities or make it very vague to give each subsequent author clear parameters.
Back to top Go down
ron
User
ron

PostSubject: Re: Information gathering for project   Information gathering for project I_icon_minitimeThu 12 Apr 2012, 4:06 pm

Really, any of these work.

I very much prefer it being plausible and explained, rather than "Push a button and go to the Moon in a fraction of a second"

Either works, but I would prefer it being explained in depth although, I am partial to subtle magic.

Mixed genres? Heck yeah, it would be evry good if done right.

Mythology is fun, I personally think it would be cool if we made one up, with maybe a little inspiration from real life's mythology here and there.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zombo.com/
Dragockon
User
Dragockon

Location : Live lively, live on, live strong, there is hope. Always.

PostSubject: Re: Information gathering for project   Information gathering for project I_icon_minitimeThu 12 Apr 2012, 4:41 pm

I don't know if I did this right but...bleh here it is:

1: Science fiction and fantasy

1.2: I like it to be explainable, to make sense at least to some degree not just “its magic”. Thing’s that don’t makes sense never go well with me, like English.

1.3: I don’t like magic much, but still same thing I don’t like thing’s that can’t be explain to some point.

1.4: Yes that would be cool I think.

2: Stuff we make up. I’m not sure maybe a little of both.

Back to top Go down
http://drackonia.deviantart.com/
Master of ImpZ
User
Master of ImpZ

PostSubject: Re: Information gathering for project   Information gathering for project I_icon_minitimeThu 12 Apr 2012, 7:21 pm

Yes, that works Drago. Thank you, and to all of you so far.
Back to top Go down
Sadie
Frequent Poster
Sadie

PostSubject: Re: Information gathering for project   Information gathering for project I_icon_minitimeThu 12 Apr 2012, 9:49 pm

I'm very into Supernatural, so I guess a balance of the three.

I don't mind there being 'advanced technology', but I feel it should not be a central part of the goal of the plot. Things that sound reasonable and don't require explanation are most suitable.

Due to my very practical and down to earth personality, I'd have to be quite against Magic, because the only explanation for it that I think of right now is 'Character A attacks Character B with a slightly varied level of energy'. But fantasy related themes and characters I am completely fine with.

In summary, a fantasy theme in a realistic setting with access to science fiction technology and such. A little of everything.

I love coming up with ways to explain ancient myths, especially Ancient Greek ones, although I'm kinda saving up some of them for a future book.
Back to top Go down
http://people.ign.com/jokie155
Master of ImpZ
User
Master of ImpZ

PostSubject: Re: Information gathering for project   Information gathering for project I_icon_minitimeFri 13 Apr 2012, 2:29 am

For anyone that has read or even knows a thing about Lovecraft, C.S Lewis, or J R R Tolkien, is they created mythologies for their stories, or people did later.

When I talk about mythology, or making our own, I do not just mean based on our current mythologies, although I love the idea of overarching all the mythologies into one giant one, or using some for this and that, but I also mean like them. Making an original mythology for your fiction, cosmology, monsters, fables, the whole deal.

In case it was not clear to some people.
Back to top Go down
Sadie
Frequent Poster
Sadie

PostSubject: Re: Information gathering for project   Information gathering for project I_icon_minitimeFri 13 Apr 2012, 3:40 am

Yeah, I guess it could work. But I've noticed some people really put effort into mythological settings, when really a certain level of vagueness is much more effective. It depends on whether people will agree to leave things unexplained for the purpose of really capturing that sense of wonder and myth.
Back to top Go down
some dumb bird
User
some dumb bird

PostSubject: Re: Information gathering for project   Information gathering for project I_icon_minitimeSun 15 Apr 2012, 6:27 pm

Realistic. We have too many random sci-fi and fantasy things around here, let's try something normal for once.

I know real life can be boring, but with such a creative bunch as this we can make anything happen, it doesn't have to be so boring.

When i read 'realistic' as an option, my mind created this image instantly, of an older teenage girl faced with a life changing decision: there was an insane gunman in front of her, threatening her and everyone else in the room.

What does she do? That's what I want to know.

And that is the kind of thing I'm talking about, drama and even extreme cases such as that. They do happen, and we can take it to new heights in suspense and such.

Just my two cents.
Back to top Go down
lUN_Cat16
Common Poster
lUN_Cat16

PostSubject: Re: Information gathering for project   Information gathering for project I_icon_minitimeSun 15 Apr 2012, 6:55 pm

Can I just say that I really do not care and would be totally okay with anything? And that I'll probably participate in some form or another no matter how this wonderful project turns out? So um yeah just put ALL OF THE ABOVE for me. XD
Back to top Go down
Master of ImpZ
User
Master of ImpZ

PostSubject: Re: Information gathering for project   Information gathering for project I_icon_minitimeSun 15 Apr 2012, 9:25 pm

XD

Okay. Yeah I do not want to like bug or force anyone on it, I just know people liked the idea, so I want to get a good idea of what the majority likes, since it would be pretty hard to make EVERYONE happy.
Back to top Go down
Heontris
User

PostSubject: Re: Information gathering for project   Information gathering for project I_icon_minitimeTue 17 Apr 2012, 7:20 pm

I would like Fantasy...

Too much is like Harry Potter, I'd rather have LotR kind... A BIT of true magic may be good though... Better than Gandalf's lightbulb magic. :P

That WOULD be so fun! But it would be hard... Not fantasy in a realistic setting unless we make the people on the sidelines actually act like they should, and not just accept the fact right away. I don't know how it would work.

I personally would like made-up mythology, but some mythology based on Earth Mythos would be good...

This would be fun to take part in, but I would take a while on figuring a quality post each time. :P
Back to top Go down
Master of ImpZ
User
Master of ImpZ

PostSubject: Re: Information gathering for project   Information gathering for project I_icon_minitimeThu 26 Apr 2012, 5:35 pm

I started wondering, and have had this idea before, with a kind of story/RP/perhaps this project, of mixing mythologies together to make one story.

For example, mixing, what I was thinking, Egyptian, Norse, and Greek mythology together. The gods in the mythologies are merely people, kings, queens, heroes, etc.

Over the kingdom are the Three Kings, Ra, Odin, and Zeus.

You go from there, with a coming darkness, that threatens to cast the Earth into darkness forever. It will include Ragnarok, but make it include the other mythologies, not just Norse. Take some tweaking here and there, but I think we can make them all fit together, mix a bit of our own flair, perhaps make something from that. The primary antagonist running the show would probably be Apep/Apophis. The dark chaotic snake that lives within Duat, underworld of Egyptian mythology. I mean come on, an undead snake that cannot be killed, attacks Ra every night, and if the snake ever wins, will consume the sun and the Earth will be thrown into darkness. That is a big bad if I have ever seen one.

Just my idea mind you, I want something everyone wants, not just something that sounds good in my head.

Back to top Go down
Szemetlada
Contributor
Szemetlada

PostSubject: Re: Information gathering for project   Information gathering for project I_icon_minitimeThu 26 Apr 2012, 6:11 pm

Pheeeew. I better brush up on my mythology. o:
Back to top Go down
Sadie
Frequent Poster
Sadie

PostSubject: Re: Information gathering for project   Information gathering for project I_icon_minitimeThu 26 Apr 2012, 6:15 pm

Stargate, Jackson gives a little history lesson on the snake-head-posing-as-god of the week each episode. : D
Back to top Go down
Master of ImpZ
User
Master of ImpZ

PostSubject: Re: Information gathering for project   Information gathering for project I_icon_minitimeThu 26 Apr 2012, 10:09 pm

Yeah, with all the mythologies combined, would need sooooome mythology knowledge. But, mind you, that would mean we chose that direction. Still not sure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Information gathering for project   Information gathering for project I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Information gathering for project
Page 1 of 1