WAIT! Without signing in or registering onto the forum, you will only be able to see a limited amount of our forum's content. To see everything that we have to offer, please sign in or register. If you are new to the forum and wish to register, it is recommended to be at least 13 years old as profanity and mature discussion goes without prohibition under normal circumstances. Thank you!

HomeFAQCalendarSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Forum revival in process, stay tuned!
If you have trouble logging in or have lost your password, email an administrator.
If you have an idea on how to improve the forum, please post your suggestions!

Share | 

Writing/Reading Horror

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Shade
Common Poster

PostSubject: Writing/Reading Horror   Mon 18 Mar 2013, 9:40 pm

I'm trying my hand at writing horror and I didn't know if anyone had any good suggestions for novels to learn from or tips in general for writing horror. Also, they don't necessarily have to be novels, I've been scaning through creepypasta but I haven't found anything too terrifying yet (Ben Drowned was slightly creepy, but the Russian Sleep Experiment was underwhelming).

So far I've kind of identified helplessness and the unknown as major, primal fears that keep reoccurring in everything, but that's a pretty easy observation to draw and doesn't get me much closer.

_______________________________________________________________________________________
Quote :
Shade, don't make fun of him, it's not his fault. We both know your swag is so great even straight men want a piece of you.

This signature WASN'T made by me. Thanks to MGS True Fans
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MoonlightDreams
User

PostSubject: Re: Writing/Reading Horror   Tue 19 Mar 2013, 9:09 am

If I've learned anything from creepypasta reading, it's that you try not to be too unrealistic or accidentally cheesy. If you're going to have something that eats people, don't make it say "That was tasty" or "Yummy yummy in my tummy!" unless you're going for comedic effect. People with no eyes and bleeding sockets seems to be a trope that I think is used too often too.

That's all I have.

_______________________________________________________________________________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Surprise
Frequent Poster

PostSubject: Re: Writing/Reading Horror   Tue 19 Mar 2013, 10:24 am

Subtlety. Describe a character whose words or actions don't fit with who he is, or have something be just subtly wrong.

I remember I read a creepypasta where there were wierd things, and everything was wrong, and obviously wrong, but it was never clear WHAT was wrong. And it stuck with me for a while, because it was just so FREAKY.

Patches wrote:
and I gave my penis a moustache, but that doesn't make people want to look at it.
MoonlightDreams wrote:
[13:09:32] MoonlightDreams : i am gay
[13:09:49] MoonlightDreams : i like dick up my bummmmmmmmm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shade
Common Poster

PostSubject: Re: Writing/Reading Horror   Sat 23 Mar 2013, 11:46 pm

Thanks, guys. Read the really creepy "Pen Pals" series of creepypasta, by far the best I've read. By "best I've read" I mean pants-shittingly terrifying.

Quote :
Shade, don't make fun of him, it's not his fault. We both know your swag is so great even straight men want a piece of you.

This signature WASN'T made by me. Thanks to MGS True Fans
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Writing/Reading Horror   

Back to top Go down

Writing/Reading Horror
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1