WAIT! Without signing in or registering onto the forum, you will only be able to see a limited amount of our forum's content. To see everything that we have to offer, please sign in or register. If you are new to the forum and wish to register, it is recommended to be at least 13 years old as profanity and mature discussion goes without prohibition under normal circumstances. Thank you!
WAIT! Without signing in or registering onto the forum, you will only be able to see a limited amount of our forum's content. To see everything that we have to offer, please sign in or register. If you are new to the forum and wish to register, it is recommended to be at least 13 years old as profanity and mature discussion goes without prohibition under normal circumstances. Thank you!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Forum revival in process, stay tuned!
If you have trouble logging in or have lost your password, email an administrator.
If you have an idea on how to improve the forum, please post your suggestions!

Idle-Tolerant Chatbox Alternatives

Go down 
+2
Szemetlada
JazzTap
6 posters
AuthorMessage
JazzTap
User
JazzTap

Idle-Tolerant Chatbox Alternatives Empty
PostSubject: Idle-Tolerant Chatbox Alternatives   Idle-Tolerant Chatbox Alternatives I_icon_minitimeFri 27 Mar 2015, 12:19 am

The forum's current chatbox logs out idlers, which is not conducive to lurking. Otherwise, it is commendably convenient. Is the timeout merely a toggleable option?

If not, potential alternatives include Skype, TeamSpeak, Steam, and IRC. Skype and Steam both require accounts. Everything except IRC requires a clientside install, but also permits voicechat.

All should be joinable via link, assuming the relevant client is installed, so the nontrivial part would be to retain the list of connected users. TSViewer and Mibbit have flawed offerings for TeamSpeak and IRC, respectively. For Skype and Steam, there seems to be nothing.

Please discuss necessity and whatever else comes up. I can help to set up Steam or IRC. I would be trivially inconvenienced by Skype usage, and not at all by the other alternatives.
Back to top Go down
Szemetlada
Contributor
Szemetlada

PostSubject: Re: Idle-Tolerant Chatbox Alternatives   Idle-Tolerant Chatbox Alternatives I_icon_minitimeFri 27 Mar 2015, 1:06 am

Oooh I'd join an IRC, Steam, or Skype! Maybe even a TeamSpeak if I could be bothered to download. :P
Back to top Go down
Ømnivalence
Frequent Poster
Ømnivalence

PostSubject: Re: Idle-Tolerant Chatbox Alternatives   Idle-Tolerant Chatbox Alternatives I_icon_minitimeFri 27 Mar 2015, 1:14 am

I think RPP has a steam group, we don't have a skype group though. That'd be nice.
Back to top Go down
Snowy
Patrician of Ankh-Morpork
Snowy

PostSubject: Re: Idle-Tolerant Chatbox Alternatives   Idle-Tolerant Chatbox Alternatives I_icon_minitimeFri 27 Mar 2015, 3:10 am

I think quite several of us still have each other on Skype, we just don't remember under what names. Or I don't anyhow.
Back to top Go down
http://steamcommunity.com/id/alaskanwyvern/
JazzTap
User
JazzTap

PostSubject: Re: Idle-Tolerant Chatbox Alternatives   Idle-Tolerant Chatbox Alternatives I_icon_minitimeFri 27 Mar 2015, 4:54 pm

Shoot, I might have to recover my Microsoft account for Skype.

As Omni points out, there are in fact two disused Steam groups. Snowy is even co-admin of [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], which has everyone from the other save Ji and Crim. Its groupchat can be joined [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], even as a guest.
Back to top Go down
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: Idle-Tolerant Chatbox Alternatives   Idle-Tolerant Chatbox Alternatives I_icon_minitimeFri 27 Mar 2015, 5:33 pm

You could always just make a new one; I'm not sure my Skype account works as a Microsoft account, for instance, so you might need to make a Skype account anyway.

I'll go throw myself into those, then. Though, I'm "On" Skype more often than I am steam, if only because Skype also works on my phone.
Back to top Go down
Ømnivalence
Frequent Poster
Ømnivalence

PostSubject: Re: Idle-Tolerant Chatbox Alternatives   Idle-Tolerant Chatbox Alternatives I_icon_minitimeFri 27 Mar 2015, 5:35 pm

I like Skype because it's a constant chat log instead of having to join it. Like if you're in it you can lurk without having to actively start lurking.
Back to top Go down
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: Idle-Tolerant Chatbox Alternatives   Idle-Tolerant Chatbox Alternatives I_icon_minitimeFri 27 Mar 2015, 5:47 pm

Additional complaint, when my internet is throttled, as it is 3/4ths of the month, excepting the hours of 2AM to 8AM on those days, holding a steam connection can be... spotty. Skype however, is a remarkably stable platform, and I only ever drop that when the whole internet goes down due to a heavy storm or the like.
Back to top Go down
Patches
Advisor
Patches

PostSubject: Re: Idle-Tolerant Chatbox Alternatives   Idle-Tolerant Chatbox Alternatives I_icon_minitimeFri 27 Mar 2015, 6:21 pm

Holy shit, I didn't even know we had a Steam group.
Back to top Go down
https://rpproject.rpg-board.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Idle-Tolerant Chatbox Alternatives   Idle-Tolerant Chatbox Alternatives I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Idle-Tolerant Chatbox Alternatives
Page 1 of 1