WAIT! Without signing in or registering onto the forum, you will only be able to see a limited amount of our forum's content. To see everything that we have to offer, please sign in or register. If you are new to the forum and wish to register, it is recommended to be at least 13 years old as profanity and mature discussion goes without prohibition under normal circumstances. Thank you!



 
HomeFAQCalendarSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Forum revival in process, stay tuned!
If you have trouble logging in or have lost your password, email an administrator.
If you have an idea on how to improve the forum, please post your suggestions!

Share | 
 

 Knock Down the Door [PbP]

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JazzTap
User
avatar

Posts : 322
Join date : 2013-08-13

PostSubject: Knock Down the Door [PbP]   Tue 09 Feb 2016, 3:45 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
political boundaries / most cities / specific factions omitted, not absent. currently @ the foot of queen mountain.


It's a poor excuse for a tavern. The beams might be rotting. But that just means fewer prying eyes.

A lone serpent-headed naga at the bar sways in approximate time to the bardsong - one of the handful of indistinguishable ragtime tunes carved into the decidedly cheap and exceedingly loud jukestone. The goblin bartender swishes a rag aimlessly, its ruby gaze alighting anywhere but the counter. The other tables and stools out front are empty.

Middle Man, having arrived for a deal, roll 2d6+CHA to determine whether your contact has shown. On a hit, they're sat by a half-wall in the sectioned-off seating, hid under a wide-brimmed hat, ready to negotiate the sale of an item of your choice (which, hopefully, they can deliver). On a (7-9), they're already flanked by a squadron of goons. Someone else's, that is. They speak at normal volume, inaudible under the manufactured din.

You're fresh off a short journey, either a half dozen miles via foot or a dozen via carriage. If someone needs to relieve themselves - probably not Ulthameq, since y'know, what else are bushes for? - there's a vanishing pot in the other room.

If Reginar goes, the golden naga tracks his movement, their darting tongue like a compass needle. Shortly after he and anyone intending to queue with him leave, the naga gets up and follows, with surprising economy of motion.

If anyone else goes instead, the naga doesn't get up just yet.

Anyone, including Reginar, who's spent time poking around regarding his previous benefactors (or some other point of interest) may roll 2d6+WIS to characterize their leads on the matter. On a hit, ask me two: what they did, what they're doing, who they are, or who they worked for. On a (7-9), you have rumours at best. On a miss, something has been learnt about you.

_______________________________________________________________________________________
the density function of the normal distribution
exp(-πx²)
a discrete sampling, up to variance and cutoff
1d6 - 1d6

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Patches
Advisor
avatar

Posts : 2050
Join date : 2011-09-29
Age : 21
Location : PA, USA

PostSubject: Re: Knock Down the Door [PbP]   Wed 10 Feb 2016, 10:48 pm

The Middle Man pushed open the door of the tavern, letting the hood of his cloak enshroud his pale face - what could be made out was a long, angular head, gaunt cheeks, and a thin black chin strip. The cloak did not seem to completely conceal, but rather, work in accordance with his black lavish clothes. He smelled the air, taking in the rich scent of apple wood smoke from the innkeeper's cooking fire. The heat that filled up the room was enough to tempt him to remove his cloak, but he persisted, since the need for discretion demanded it. After all, this was no pleasure trip - were it so, he need not subject himself to the barbarism of the skrae, or the company of kobolds.

Nay, he had a meeting. A deal; an object lies in wait, one that he has yet to disclose to the companions with which he's been traveling. Perhaps it was better for he that they did not know. Such awareness might be a burden upon them or himself. In truth, it was just a key. Albeit, a very special key.

His contact should already be waiting in a neighboring sectioned off part of the tavern. He patiently paced across the floor into the other room, and saw a man hiding under a wide-brimmed hat. So, might this be his quarry? Whatever the case, the Middle Man felt eager to get this deal underway. Eager, yes, but also cautious. As he should always be.

CHA modifier: +2

_______________________________________________________________________________________
WARNING: I AM UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF
MONSTER ENERGY
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Anything posted on this account before 7/14/2012 was actually Snowy.
Having log in problems? E-MAIL me at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rpproject.forumotion.com
The_GM
Dice Module


Posts : 7
Join date : 2013-06-05
Location : The dice are trying to kill you. That is all.

PostSubject: Re: Knock Down the Door [PbP]   Wed 10 Feb 2016, 10:48 pm

The member 'Patches' has done the following action : Dice roll

'd6' : 2, 3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Snowy
Patrician of Ankh-Morpork
avatar

Posts : 1564
Join date : 2011-09-29
Age : 26
Location : Bird school, which is for birds.

PostSubject: Re: Knock Down the Door [PbP]   Wed 10 Feb 2016, 11:40 pm

Shasva gave his meat a critical eye. The roast was both cheap and overpriced. Back in the day, he'd have his minions haul in a fresh kill, then burn and cook the best parts of it himself. But this was a butcher reject, cooked to what humans thought was proper temperature. He tentatively took a bite. "Too much garlic," he muttered. At least one of these problems was sort of fixable. A quick focus of energies, and his right hand lit up in flames, which he then pressed and held on his meal, then flipped the meat over and repeated the process before biting into it again with his teeth, pushing an errant bit of onion off to the side. The result was quite black on the outside, almost black enough, but the inside was still that wishy washy brown color that the overgrown voles were so fond of. It would have to do, though. As he chawed, he scanned the room. Places like this always had something going down, whether it was something he was interested in or not.

((+1))

_______________________________________________________________________________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Anything posted on this account before 7/14/2012 was actually Patches.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://steamcommunity.com/id/alaskanwyvern/
The_GM
Dice Module


Posts : 7
Join date : 2013-06-05
Location : The dice are trying to kill you. That is all.

PostSubject: Re: Knock Down the Door [PbP]   Wed 10 Feb 2016, 11:40 pm

The member 'Snowy' has done the following action : Dice roll

'd6' : 4, 3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Patches
Advisor
avatar

Posts : 2050
Join date : 2011-09-29
Age : 21
Location : PA, USA

PostSubject: Re: Knock Down the Door [PbP]   Thu 11 Feb 2016, 12:29 am

JazzTap wrote:
"What's that, now? Takin' an interest in our private business, milord?," says one of the goons.

Your guys could probably take 'em, if you can get Ulthameq away from the bar, but these orcs (and one scarred lizard) could be packing any sort of heat - especially if their employer has an interest in the arcane.

Then again, it's not like they have an equivalent to the key already.

The stetson-hatted orc looks surreptitiously between you and the goon they're presently negotiating with. Their expression emboldens, a slight smile tugging the lower lip taut about the tusks.

The Middle Man met the glares of the goons with a slight frown. It would appear that his party dallied too long on the road, and he met with his contact late just so, that these meat-witted dunderheads beat him to the catch. His mind was racing to think of strategies to combat this obstacle, and he felt his spirits lift with amusement. A couple of ideas have come to mind, but it came to be a matter of executing them.

Them, being the idea, or the goons - whichever came first.

"As it would happen..." said the Middle Man artfully, "the sphere of my business coincides with the business of first and second parties."

The merchant prince glanced down at the orc he was supposed to meet, and were he to meet his gaze, the Middle Man made no effort to hide his disappointment in him.

"I represent the behalf of this gentleman--" Middle Man lied as he set his hand on the orc's shoulder (a slight pinch of his skin, a cue?), "...to ensure a fair, written trade is made on his behalf, with my advice."

By all means, he was disappointed in his man in even letting them in on the fact that he had a piece of contraband in his possession, which was up for sale, but he could turn this around. Strengthen the relationship between he and contact by means of indebting him into the Middle Man's service - as an employer, he always sought to tighten loose ends, and keep his assets loyal - and in the end, putting the key in his possession. Blackmail is a perfectly valid tactic - he made sure to stress the fact that there had to be a written agreement - but once this was all over, it might be wise to leave the town with haste.

_______________________________________________________________________________________
WARNING: I AM UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF
MONSTER ENERGY
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Anything posted on this account before 7/14/2012 was actually Snowy.
Having log in problems? E-MAIL me at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rpproject.forumotion.com
Gnd
Refugee


Posts : 28
Join date : 2014-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Knock Down the Door [PbP]   Thu 11 Feb 2016, 5:14 am

This is a strange world full of odd customs and degenerate, honorless cultures. Ulthameq found himself thinking these things as he ducked into the confines of the tavern, following his benefactor.  

When he lived among his people, trade was based on necessity -- not for the attainment of profit. He understood that some of his kin on the northern coast bartered with humans, but he had no idea the degree to which it had been ingrained in them, and indeed, how deeply it permeated society outside of the frigid south. The idea that goods and services would be exchanged only if other goods and services could be offered was difficult to grasp, especially when the goods in question could be small useless pieces of round metal.

Ulthameq took out a small useless piece of metal and placed it on the counter of the bar. He had been provided a small pouch of such useless pieces of metal by his benefactor. He asks the barkeep, in a very broken interpretation of common, if he is in possession of Skrae Vodka.

"Sure, why not. One vodka." The rag disappears back under the counter, and the barkeep hops off the ledge which raises him to the level of the counter. A drink is provided.

Ulthameq tastes the drink.

This drink does not taste like Skrae Vodka.

Ulthameq slams the beverage down onto the bar, shouts something in his native tongue, and declares the goblin is a 'filthy lying small green human'. This is clearly not Skrae Vodka.

He looks the giant before him up and down. Huh, maybe it is an actual skrae. Even if they hadn't let the bouncer go... "Sorry it didn't meet your expectations, sir," he manages, voice starting to rise in pitch. "On the house."

Ulthameq demands an explanation for why this swill was served. Simply apologies do not placate him. He will not tolerate a beverage being served with his race's name on it which is not the actual beverage his race produces. This would tarnish the reputation of his kin!

"It, I simply don't have the recipe, sir. I did the best I could, sir, with the things at hand." The goblin is visibly trembling. Heads swivel, at least at the bar, where your conversation is audible. If anyone else is there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gnd
Refugee


Posts : 28
Join date : 2014-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Knock Down the Door [PbP]   Thu 11 Feb 2016, 5:17 am

Edit: Can't insert a dice roll, so tacking on one here to see if Ulthameq strikes the gobbo.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
The_GM
Dice Module


Posts : 7
Join date : 2013-06-05
Location : The dice are trying to kill you. That is all.

PostSubject: Re: Knock Down the Door [PbP]   Thu 11 Feb 2016, 5:17 am

The member 'Gnd' has done the following action : Dice roll

'd6' : 6, 4
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Patches
Advisor
avatar

Posts : 2050
Join date : 2011-09-29
Age : 21
Location : PA, USA

PostSubject: Re: Knock Down the Door [PbP]   Thu 11 Feb 2016, 4:03 pm

The goons were no more closer to being in the clutches of the Middle Man's scheming than before, but it would suffice that they had bought his ruse. That was progress. His sudden presence may have not have discouraged them from their bartering, nor did his supposed title seem sway them from whatever they might have already arranged. A fair test for his patience. Middle pressed the attack.

"I can see that I've inconvenienced you," the Middle Man said, "and I apologize for my hindrance on your negotiations, I only concern for the safety of my client's ledger and his business. If it is any consolation, might I propose to parley?"

He looked down at his content once more.

"Upon my own behalf. I will take responsibility, yes? There's nary a promise or favor I cannot fulfill... within reason."

+1 CHA

_______________________________________________________________________________________
WARNING: I AM UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF
MONSTER ENERGY
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Anything posted on this account before 7/14/2012 was actually Snowy.
Having log in problems? E-MAIL me at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rpproject.forumotion.com
The_GM
Dice Module


Posts : 7
Join date : 2013-06-05
Location : The dice are trying to kill you. That is all.

PostSubject: Re: Knock Down the Door [PbP]   Thu 11 Feb 2016, 4:03 pm

The member 'Patches' has done the following action : Dice roll

'd6' : 4, 3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JazzTap
User
avatar

Posts : 322
Join date : 2013-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Knock Down the Door [PbP]   Sun 14 Feb 2016, 4:43 pm

Snowy wrote:
I'll go with who they are

The seller's uninvited company is excessive, unless their boss either knew of Middle's deal or had them on payroll anyway. Magic keys are obviously contraband - the lawful local lord would probably have an interest, but then why would they want to stay off the public record? Maybe the contraband won't be going into storage...

Also, the naga at the bar picks up the scent of char and gives your table a once-over, because good grief, man.

Snowy wrote:
Shasva makes eye contact with the naga, rips off another chunk of meat with his teeth, and blows some imaginary smoke off his finger, then goes back to watching the goons.

The naga pretends not to notice.
- The reputation of this venue has decreased!



Grand wrote:
Can't insert a dice roll, so tacking on one here to see if Ulthameq strikes the gobbo.

You decide against smashing either the gobbo or any of his so-called 'possessions'. What brought about this foreign-minded well-acculturated change of heart?



ᴩʀᴇᴠɪᴏᴜꜱʟy: "A lawyer?" The one who'd been 'negotiating' pinches the scrunched-up bridge of her nose.

Note that Middle retroactively has +1 forward on his roll to meet a contact from a week's preparation. His actual CHA modifer is +1, because Dungeon World.

Patches wrote:
I have a deal I still need to salvage, Grand, give me a minute
don't kill the gobbo yet, I still need this to work!

Also, don't worry about calling your moves. They're just abstractions.

The goons shrug this off as more foppish behavior, and ask for the key's location in addition to the invoice, in advance of producing the cash. You have it secured, right? They can't waltz in and steal it, but you can't just run off with it.

Patches wrote:
I assumed that my contact had the key on his person.

He reveals that he does. It's, uh, not at hand right now. Since it's a key of pass without trace, he swallowed it for safekeeping. It looks like he'll have to be placed under house arrest until either a few days pass or laxatives can be procured from the herbalist.

Do you want to accompany him, perhaps making a case as to why this is absurd and unnecessary, or visit the herbalist?

_______________________________________________________________________________________
the density function of the normal distribution
exp(-πx²)
a discrete sampling, up to variance and cutoff
1d6 - 1d6

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admiral Ji
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 1450
Join date : 2011-09-30
Age : 22
Location : The 14th floor of the final dungeon

PostSubject: Re: Knock Down the Door [PbP]   Tue 16 Feb 2016, 2:32 am

Reginar did his best to ask around, as he always did, attempting to leverage his force of personality to make up for his usual inability to tell when people meant what they said, or even knew what they were talking about. Though of course, as the naga coiled around a bar stool, debating what to order and carousing with the more traveled looking patrons in the bar, he did his best to avoid eye contact with the other naga.

Straightening his jacket to present, if nothing else, a more powerful and intimidating visage, he grabbed the drink as generously provided to him, and clinked it with one of the men to his side, as he sat, and talked. This hadn't worked the previous time either, but, perhaps, this time...

(-1 wis.)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
The_GM
Dice Module


Posts : 7
Join date : 2013-06-05
Location : The dice are trying to kill you. That is all.

PostSubject: Re: Knock Down the Door [PbP]   Tue 16 Feb 2016, 2:32 am

The member 'Admiral Ji' has done the following action : Dice roll

'd6' : 1, 3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JazzTap
User
avatar

Posts : 322
Join date : 2013-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Knock Down the Door [PbP]   Tue 16 Feb 2016, 6:42 am

You bounce fruitlessly off of a bugbear (flirtatious), two gnomes (probably armed, and extremely defensive - you could theoretically swallow one), and an orc (who isn't at all local, and understands about three words you say).

As you make your toast, the handsome lizard on your other side excuses himself. The other naga slides up next to you - under the bar-light, her scales have a slight, captivating teal-purple iridescence. "My cleric patched you up well," she breathes. "But... your followers are making a scene."

Hm. Well, she knows to be direct.

- Reginar marks XP.

_______________________________________________________________________________________
the density function of the normal distribution
exp(-πx²)
a discrete sampling, up to variance and cutoff
1d6 - 1d6

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Knock Down the Door [PbP]   

Back to top Go down
 
Knock Down the Door [PbP]
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» The open Pasture Door
» Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
» Yummy Yummy Yummy!!![Kami :3]
» Dorm #14: Knock, Knock. Who's There?
» Knock Out (Transformers: Prime)

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Roleplaying :: Fantasy-
Jump to: