WAIT! Without signing in or registering onto the forum, you will only be able to see a limited amount of our forum's content. To see everything that we have to offer, please sign in or register. If you are new to the forum and wish to register, it is recommended to be at least 13 years old as profanity and mature discussion goes without prohibition under normal circumstances. Thank you!
WAIT! Without signing in or registering onto the forum, you will only be able to see a limited amount of our forum's content. To see everything that we have to offer, please sign in or register. If you are new to the forum and wish to register, it is recommended to be at least 13 years old as profanity and mature discussion goes without prohibition under normal circumstances. Thank you!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Forum revival in process, stay tuned!
If you have trouble logging in or have lost your password, email an administrator.
If you have an idea on how to improve the forum, please post your suggestions!

Servers for source games

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Diamondback
Frequent Poster
Diamondback

Servers for source games Empty
PostSubject: Servers for source games   Servers for source games I_icon_minitimeTue 02 Oct 2012, 5:07 pm

I have unsuccessfully attempted to host servers on various source games before. I've used the built-in create server option and put in the proper commands (sv_lan 0 and heartbeat) and yet the servers can't be accessed by anyone but myself. Is it an issue with port forwarding, and if so, how do I port forward?
Back to top Go down
Patches
Advisor
Patches

PostSubject: Re: Servers for source games   Servers for source games I_icon_minitimeTue 02 Oct 2012, 6:19 pm

A lot of games are different, so I believe it would help if you clarified what you're trying to get into.
Back to top Go down
https://rpproject.rpg-board.net
ron
User
ron

PostSubject: Re: Servers for source games   Servers for source games I_icon_minitimeTue 02 Oct 2012, 6:38 pm

Hidden:Source, is what he means. It's a mod of Half-Life 2.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zombo.com/
Diamondback
Frequent Poster
Diamondback

PostSubject: Re: Servers for source games   Servers for source games I_icon_minitimeTue 02 Oct 2012, 7:20 pm

All source games run on the same engine.
Back to top Go down
Patches
Advisor
Patches

PostSubject: Re: Servers for source games   Servers for source games I_icon_minitimeTue 02 Oct 2012, 7:47 pm

Oh. I'm unfamiliar with Source.
Back to top Go down
https://rpproject.rpg-board.net
Balu
Common Poster
Balu

Location : Hehe Being forgotten, invisible, and left to my own devices. Bad idea,

PostSubject: Re: Servers for source games   Servers for source games I_icon_minitimeTue 02 Oct 2012, 8:14 pm

Most likely it is a problem that has no solution.

A.) Your ISP doesn't support Portforwarding/Static IPs, or your upload speed is not fast enough to host a server. There is probably a way around this, or something, but I do not know of it. Ask your Internet Service Provider if you can.

B.) Your router is not Port Forwarded correctly, or it's software doesn't support Static IPs, or the router specifically blocks those ports for some reason. The only way to fix this issue is to buy a new router, which does support it. LAN/WLAN will work if this is the case, but the server will not allow itself to be broadcasted beyond the router.

C.) You have a firewall that conflicts with the Port Forward, you have a problem with the default settings of the server, or any mixture of things. Try and connect on another computer in the house on the LAN or WLAN. Rule this out if it works.

My money is on A. Mainly because I know for a fact that most packages do not or will not allow servers in ports beyond 80, and the two other main ports for Email and Web. This is especially common in Residential areas. Don't know why they do it, but they do.

I doubt this will solve your problem, in fact I pretty guarantee it won't. But these are the most common issues people come across.
Back to top Go down
Master of ImpZ
User
Master of ImpZ

Location : Looking up, wondering what is beyond the platinum star

PostSubject: Re: Servers for source games   Servers for source games I_icon_minitimeTue 02 Oct 2012, 8:27 pm

Every Source game server a friend of mine has ever run runs into this issue, and it is always a port forwarding issue.

The games are misleading and make you think if you use Create a Server option, it port forwards it for you, but it doesn't. You have to port forward it manually for it to work. And I am fairly sure ALL Source games do that, they require manually port forwarding the server. Only one I did not have to do was a L4D2 server, but it had many glitches and problems, possibly from not properly port forwarding.
Back to top Go down
Diamondback
Frequent Poster
Diamondback

PostSubject: Re: Servers for source games   Servers for source games I_icon_minitimeTue 02 Oct 2012, 8:36 pm

Well how would I go about portforwarding?
Back to top Go down
Master of ImpZ
User
Master of ImpZ

Location : Looking up, wondering what is beyond the platinum star

PostSubject: Re: Servers for source games   Servers for source games I_icon_minitimeThu 04 Oct 2012, 3:54 am

Bluh bluh, I know how to port forward Minecraft.

You have to find out what ports Source uses, and then the games and stuff like Hidden. Some games use up to three or four ports for different reasons, and would require all of them to be forwarded.

Because I have no idea what port forward numbers are needed for that, I cannot offer a lot of help on that.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

That is the official Hidden Source forum for server admins. Read here if you have any issues with running a Hidden server. This should offer the help you need.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Servers for source games   Servers for source games I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Servers for source games
Page 1 of 1