WAIT! Without signing in or registering onto the forum, you will only be able to see a limited amount of our forum's content. To see everything that we have to offer, please sign in or register. If you are new to the forum and wish to register, it is recommended to be at least 13 years old as profanity and mature discussion goes without prohibition under normal circumstances. Thank you!
WAIT! Without signing in or registering onto the forum, you will only be able to see a limited amount of our forum's content. To see everything that we have to offer, please sign in or register. If you are new to the forum and wish to register, it is recommended to be at least 13 years old as profanity and mature discussion goes without prohibition under normal circumstances. Thank you!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Forum revival in process, stay tuned!
If you have trouble logging in or have lost your password, email an administrator.
If you have an idea on how to improve the forum, please post your suggestions!

Dungeons and Dumbasses, or Why We Can't Run Nice Games

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Diamondback
Frequent Poster
Diamondback

Dungeons and Dumbasses, or Why We Can't Run Nice Games Empty
PostSubject: Dungeons and Dumbasses, or Why We Can't Run Nice Games   Dungeons and Dumbasses, or Why We Can't Run Nice Games I_icon_minitimeSun 07 Apr 2013, 3:41 am

Over the past few days, a few comrades in a scout troop and I had the good fortune of being DM'd in our first D&D campaign by one of the older scouts. It was an altogether pleasant run, although it devolved into a circlejerk of running gags.
The first of these was everyone's character speaking Ebonics as a tertiary language.
Second was my wizard always casting spells in the shape of a dick. This arose out of a fucking bugbear Tarzan'ing into my squishy Eladrin wizard from a chandelier, one-hit bloodying me. On my turn, I run away and shoot a magic missile. DM asks me to describe it. "A dick. A big fucking dick comes out of my wand."
Third was goats. The DM was describing a giant spider, and he accidentally said "Goats for teeth" when he meant "teeth the size of goats." Suddenly, every unseen enemy was a goat. The house (a necromancer's living house) was just one big goat.

Does it get better if I run a game with kids who aren't seventh graders?
Back to top Go down
Patches
Advisor
Patches

PostSubject: Re: Dungeons and Dumbasses, or Why We Can't Run Nice Games   Dungeons and Dumbasses, or Why We Can't Run Nice Games I_icon_minitimeSun 07 Apr 2013, 11:41 am

Ouch.
Back to top Go down
https://rpproject.rpg-board.net
Surprise
Frequent Poster
Surprise

PostSubject: Re: Dungeons and Dumbasses, or Why We Can't Run Nice Games   Dungeons and Dumbasses, or Why We Can't Run Nice Games I_icon_minitimeSun 07 Apr 2013, 12:04 pm

Nope.

Last year, playing with grade twelves and elevens, in our first game together a player attempted to placate a CLEARLY panicking woman by hugging her. We tried to convince him otherwise, the DM asked him if he was sure, he wouldn't dettered, so the DM responded "fine. Roll for sexual assault".

Turns out she was a 5~ level mage, and she immediately dropped me and the fighter in question to almost no HP.
at the start of an encounter.

All I can say is thank god I had enlarge person prepared.
Back to top Go down
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: Dungeons and Dumbasses, or Why We Can't Run Nice Games   Dungeons and Dumbasses, or Why We Can't Run Nice Games I_icon_minitimeSun 07 Apr 2013, 5:13 pm

Yes, it does get better. You need to, with the party and GM, agree as to how silly you'll all let things get. A little is fine, but it sounds like yours hit the point where it eclipsed the rest of the experience.
Back to top Go down
Diamondback
Frequent Poster
Diamondback

PostSubject: Re: Dungeons and Dumbasses, or Why We Can't Run Nice Games   Dungeons and Dumbasses, or Why We Can't Run Nice Games I_icon_minitimeSun 07 Apr 2013, 5:22 pm

This was more of a one-shot campaign. The DM says he has a campaign running where I'd be welcome if I was able to come.
Back to top Go down
Snowy
Patrician of Ankh-Morpork
Snowy

PostSubject: Re: Dungeons and Dumbasses, or Why We Can't Run Nice Games   Dungeons and Dumbasses, or Why We Can't Run Nice Games I_icon_minitimeSun 07 Apr 2013, 5:32 pm

It's a matter of having a good GM and mature players who legitimately want to put together a good game. But yeah, I'll just echo Ji here.
Back to top Go down
http://steamcommunity.com/id/alaskanwyvern/
Diamondback
Frequent Poster
Diamondback

PostSubject: Re: Dungeons and Dumbasses, or Why We Can't Run Nice Games   Dungeons and Dumbasses, or Why We Can't Run Nice Games I_icon_minitimeSun 07 Apr 2013, 5:51 pm

Of course, my grandma has to go all "devil's game" and blame it for my dad being a worthless piece of shit.
Back to top Go down
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: Dungeons and Dumbasses, or Why We Can't Run Nice Games   Dungeons and Dumbasses, or Why We Can't Run Nice Games I_icon_minitimeSun 07 Apr 2013, 6:34 pm

Look, tell your grandma this. If it's Satan's game, I'm still waiting for my magic powers, damn it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dungeons and Dumbasses, or Why We Can't Run Nice Games   Dungeons and Dumbasses, or Why We Can't Run Nice Games I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dungeons and Dumbasses, or Why We Can't Run Nice Games
Page 1 of 1