WAIT! Without signing in or registering onto the forum, you will only be able to see a limited amount of our forum's content. To see everything that we have to offer, please sign in or register. If you are new to the forum and wish to register, it is recommended to be at least 13 years old as profanity and mature discussion goes without prohibition under normal circumstances. Thank you!
WAIT! Without signing in or registering onto the forum, you will only be able to see a limited amount of our forum's content. To see everything that we have to offer, please sign in or register. If you are new to the forum and wish to register, it is recommended to be at least 13 years old as profanity and mature discussion goes without prohibition under normal circumstances. Thank you!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Forum revival in process, stay tuned!
If you have trouble logging in or have lost your password, email an administrator.
If you have an idea on how to improve the forum, please post your suggestions!

Is it just me...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Dinh_AaronMk
User
Dinh_AaronMk

Is it just me... Empty
PostSubject: Is it just me...   Is it just me... I_icon_minitimeMon 08 Apr 2013, 7:40 pm

... Who thought Double Rainboom was really just sort of mediocre?

Sure, the animation and sound/music was show-quality; if not better. But the rest of it - story, writing, voice acting, "jokes" - sort of fell short of quality.

I mean, Jesus fuck. If the fandom can write glorious master works like Fallout Equestria and any other gold piece of literature then there should be no excuse for Double Rainboom to flop so hard in that respect.
Back to top Go down
Surprise
Frequent Poster
Surprise

Is it just me... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is it just me...   Is it just me... I_icon_minitimeMon 08 Apr 2013, 8:30 pm

It wasn't a fic, and they didn't get a fic writer to help them. That's literally the only problem I have with it, though. There were some clever jokes, the characters were in character, Pinkie was Pinkie, and the cross-over characters felt genuine.

And the voice acting is going to fall short no matter what. They can't have the actual actors do the lines(again, obviously), and anything else just won't sound as good.

Also? If you want to see the reason the story was sub-par, try watching snowdrop or snowflake or whatever. Apparently it was well written, but it took itself far, far too seriously, and barely knew what it was doing. It had like two minutes of pretentious poetry bullcrap when it should have been introducing the conflict, and drawing the viewer in.

The fact of the matter is that when it comes to something with multiple aspects, story is usually the one that can be most easily(and safely) ignored.
Back to top Go down
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

Is it just me... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is it just me...   Is it just me... I_icon_minitimeMon 08 Apr 2013, 8:37 pm

No I agree with you that it just kind of exists.

I can't say I enjoyed it too much, and I will likely never watch it again, but it wasn't bad. The story was just sub-par, as noted.

And also, far too many references to things blindly, and repeatedly. Way, way too many of Harley Quinn, for instance.

I'm also way too confused as to why Pinkie knows what Snozzberries taste like.
Back to top Go down
Patches
Advisor
Patches

Is it just me... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is it just me...   Is it just me... I_icon_minitimeMon 08 Apr 2013, 8:50 pm

I don't remember this episode.

Though if it's one of the newer ones, then I wouldn't know. I haven't had too many means of keeping up to date on any t.v. shows.
Back to top Go down
https://rpproject.rpg-board.net
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

Is it just me... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is it just me...   Is it just me... I_icon_minitimeMon 08 Apr 2013, 8:59 pm

It was a fan made thing.
Back to top Go down
Patches
Advisor
Patches

Is it just me... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is it just me...   Is it just me... I_icon_minitimeMon 08 Apr 2013, 9:07 pm

Oh.

Then of course it's going to be bad.
Back to top Go down
https://rpproject.rpg-board.net
Surprise
Frequent Poster
Surprise

Is it just me... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is it just me...   Is it just me... I_icon_minitimeMon 08 Apr 2013, 9:14 pm

It wasn't bad, per say. Snowdrop was bad. It just wasn't amazing. It was good for what it was, let's put it that way.

Also? It's a reference, albeit a very dirty one now that I know what dahl meant by it.

For the love of fuck, why did you teach me what that word meant. I hate you. So much.
Back to top Go down
Dinh_AaronMk
User
Dinh_AaronMk

Is it just me... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is it just me...   Is it just me... I_icon_minitimeTue 09 Apr 2013, 2:14 am

Snowdrop was boring. It was animated well, very well, very professional (minus a few mistakes); like Double Rainboom. But it didn't have that MLD impact like it was written to have. Or people made it out to have.

Double Rainboom struggles in the same face in that it tried too hard to be funny. Really, they could have done better this fandom has proved we have quality writers. And if they managed to get Pixelkitties to do the voting and Daniel Ingram to do the music and sound-effects (and I think Mando) then there's no excuse to have not branched out and worked with a better writer to actually write a better story that doesn't rely on off-hand and flow and immersion breaking references that they had.

They probably could have avoided go into Power Puff Girls, even if they wanted to give Faust more credit. Though you got to remember Faust's role on that show wasn't nearly as major as it was in MLP:FiM and it feels like we're giving her a lot of credit on that than anything. I think she was just a story-board artist; just taking other people's work and roughly drawing it out to the writer's script.

And going back to Pixelkitties: did they even do auditions or did they just get because she was a big name? It feels that way, since I'm very certain there's folks out there more skilled. The Snowdrop Luna and Celestia sounded respectably close, granted you could still tell, but it wasn't a flattened attempt at copying someone's voice.
Back to top Go down
Surprise
Frequent Poster
Surprise

Is it just me... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is it just me...   Is it just me... I_icon_minitimeTue 09 Apr 2013, 11:14 am

PLEASE tell me that you don't mean my little dashie there.

please.

My little dashie is terrible. It's got cheap, easy emotional weight, it's terrible written, and it's just way, way too long for what it is. Nevermind that it doesn't pay attention to itself(How did dash get in the box?) and it's logic isn't consistant. If he couldn't afford to keep his house running properly, when and how did he get the money to get a big house on a big plot of land? That's pretty impressively dumb. Also? when land values plummet, the number of people living in an area increases. It's a little counter-intuitive, but still true. Why was there goddamn noone in that town?

Also, it's the MOST painfully obvious self-insert fic ever. I've seen black and red alicorn fics that were less obvious, even "the divine comedy" is more subtle than this shit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Is it just me... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is it just me...   Is it just me... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is it just me...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General :: General Discussion-
Jump to: