WAIT! Without signing in or registering onto the forum, you will only be able to see a limited amount of our forum's content. To see everything that we have to offer, please sign in or register. If you are new to the forum and wish to register, it is recommended to be at least 13 years old as profanity and mature discussion goes without prohibition under normal circumstances. Thank you!
WAIT! Without signing in or registering onto the forum, you will only be able to see a limited amount of our forum's content. To see everything that we have to offer, please sign in or register. If you are new to the forum and wish to register, it is recommended to be at least 13 years old as profanity and mature discussion goes without prohibition under normal circumstances. Thank you!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Forum revival in process, stay tuned!
If you have trouble logging in or have lost your password, email an administrator.
If you have an idea on how to improve the forum, please post your suggestions!

Fallout-Fate experiment

Go down 
+5
Mr Allen J
Patches
Surprise
Snowy
Admiral Ji
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

Fallout-Fate experiment Empty
PostSubject: Fallout-Fate experiment   Fallout-Fate experiment I_icon_minitimeWed 22 May 2013, 5:50 pm

So I've been mulling over a game I was running that just kinda fell apart due to scheduling. I'd typed up a couple pages of notes, I had plans and all that, but the game just ended. Then, I remembered I had you guys.

So I'd like to see if anyone's up for being subjected to a Fallout setting roleplaying game. It's only a game because I want to use the FATE system, which I can explain or offer a pdf of if asked, but it's essentially minimalist rules to mostly just make sure people fail when they should fail, and get bonuses for acting within character. If we've got any takers, come on down please. Otherwise, this thread will vanish and all existence of it will be covered up as per Jiian protocol.

I may have neglected to mention, this will be run essentially like a regular rp. There'll just be a booklet full of rules you'll need to glance through initially, and keep in mind.

It has come to my awareness some of you might not even know what fallout is. If that's the case, think of a kind of post-apocalyptic future setting.

To help anyone having difficulties:

AW wrote:
Basically, Fate charsheets go:

What's your job in a few words?

What's your driving conflict?

What's the cool character trait you got out of your origin story?

You had an adventure and one of the other players was in it. What was the take-away from that?

One of the other players had an adventure and you were in it. Same question as before.

What skill are you fantastic at?

What two skills are you pretty respectable at?

What skill are you okay at?

What skill are you less okay at?

We're going to be using much of that to make something called "Aspects" which are short phrases that can be invoked for bonuses on your part (Or bonuses for other people, if they reason it right) or penalties now in exchange for the chance to get more bonuses later.

Last edited by Ji on Sun 02 Jun 2013, 10:47 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Snowy
Patrician of Ankh-Morpork
Snowy

PostSubject: Re: Fallout-Fate experiment   Fallout-Fate experiment I_icon_minitimeWed 22 May 2013, 6:40 pm

Do I get to keep my meat cleaver?
Back to top Go down
http://steamcommunity.com/id/alaskanwyvern/
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: Fallout-Fate experiment   Fallout-Fate experiment I_icon_minitimeWed 22 May 2013, 6:45 pm

I...

Well with the broken as hell rules no longer giving you the annihileaver, because we're using a far more roleplay heavy system, yes. You sure can.

Last edited by Ji on Wed 22 May 2013, 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Snowy
Snowy

PostSubject: Re: Fallout-Fate experiment   Fallout-Fate experiment I_icon_minitimeWed 22 May 2013, 7:36 pm

Awww. I'm making all my stunts knife-based.
Back to top Go down
Surprise
Frequent Poster
Surprise

PostSubject: Re: Fallout-Fate experiment   Fallout-Fate experiment I_icon_minitimeWed 22 May 2013, 8:19 pm

I might be up for it?

problem is, I'm already setting up a fallout Equestria:PNP game for a few friends, so it might get confusing.

Also, Eo, your sigs are distracting. 'smells like ass'
Back to top Go down
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: Fallout-Fate experiment   Fallout-Fate experiment I_icon_minitimeWed 22 May 2013, 8:33 pm

S'all good. I kinda figured I wouldn't get sufficient interest anyway.

I don't know why you'd get confused though. Entirely different systems, characters, and most of the setting. And you being the one running one and playing the other.
Back to top Go down
Surprise
Frequent Poster
Surprise

PostSubject: Re: Fallout-Fate experiment   Fallout-Fate experiment I_icon_minitimeThu 23 May 2013, 12:44 am

Different systems is the issue. I could reasonably run three different games in the same system, but two related but different systems at the same time? eesh, talk about frightening.

Still though, if you find yourself one person short, I'll give it a try.
Back to top Go down
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: Fallout-Fate experiment   Fallout-Fate experiment I_icon_minitimeThu 23 May 2013, 4:38 pm

Hahaha. Fate is related to basically nothing.

It's basically group storytelling but with a few rules, and the occasional die roll. It's mostly about keeping to character.

Last edited by Ji on Thu 23 May 2013, 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Patches
Advisor
Patches

PostSubject: Re: Fallout-Fate experiment   Fallout-Fate experiment I_icon_minitimeThu 23 May 2013, 6:24 pm

I'll try.
Back to top Go down
https://rpproject.rpg-board.net
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: Fallout-Fate experiment   Fallout-Fate experiment I_icon_minitimeThu 23 May 2013, 6:41 pm

Hey that's two people, that's enough to run a game of fate!

We can begin making and thinking up characters now. So, Patches, what do you need filled in to you about the fallout universe?
Back to top Go down
Patches
Advisor
Patches

PostSubject: Re: Fallout-Fate experiment   Fallout-Fate experiment I_icon_minitimeThu 23 May 2013, 8:06 pm

Everything.
Back to top Go down
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: Fallout-Fate experiment   Fallout-Fate experiment I_icon_minitimeThu 23 May 2013, 8:25 pm

Good. Good. I expected as much, you scamp.

To give you a gist before I go steal a wiki link to just throw at you...

Imagine a world that never invented the transistor. Everything is old timey and retro, while also being far enough in the future that nuclear power and lasers and even plasmas are basically everywhere. Then the energy crisis, a lack of fossil fuels, starts a great war that in two hours destroys much of humanity, save those hidden in underground Vaults, or who were "lucky" enough to become zombie like. (in appearance, not mentality)

We take place about 110-120ish years after the bombs fell. The world is in ruin, but civilization is trying.
Back to top Go down
Patches
Advisor
Patches

PostSubject: Re: Fallout-Fate experiment   Fallout-Fate experiment I_icon_minitimeThu 23 May 2013, 8:40 pm

Hot damn, let's do it.

I still need to get to Yami Aku. But I need time. I barely had any time to do anything all week.
Back to top Go down
Mr Allen J
User
Mr Allen J

PostSubject: Re: Fallout-Fate experiment   Fallout-Fate experiment I_icon_minitimeThu 23 May 2013, 8:46 pm

I'm in.
Back to top Go down
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: Fallout-Fate experiment   Fallout-Fate experiment I_icon_minitimeThu 23 May 2013, 8:59 pm

Hey three, that's exactly as many as I was shooting for.

Alright. Well I suppose first things first is to start with basic character ideas. What do you guys want to be?

I've decided to set my game in the far west of Canada. The U.S. North West could be accessed given time, or Alaska.

Important factions that maintain activity in the region are:

The People's Republic of Alaska, what remains of the Chinese army that was on a massive submarine when the bombs fell, and carried out its final orders anyway. They've interbred with the locals, and established a wide spread, but sparcely populated society.

The Yakuza: Essentially crime having decided to try to enforce laws. They occupy Washington. They rule any areas they "claim" mostly without actually doing anything other than regular "tax runs" and the occasional intimidation.

The ???: Originating as a geographical error, I need to rename these guys. But they're essentially the closest to the old-world left, that isn't also you know, the Enclave or the BoS. Except Patches, Patches doesn't know what those words mean. They're based to the East

The area we'll focus on and start in is mostly untamed by any kind of super power. Just people trying to get by in the nuclear wastes.

I should also get you guys the book we'll be using. :P

Last edited by Ji on Thu 23 May 2013, 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ron
User
ron

PostSubject: Re: Fallout-Fate experiment   Fallout-Fate experiment I_icon_minitimeThu 23 May 2013, 9:02 pm

Intriguing. My interest has arisen.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zombo.com/
Mr Allen J
User
Mr Allen J

PostSubject: Re: Fallout-Fate experiment   Fallout-Fate experiment I_icon_minitimeThu 23 May 2013, 9:03 pm

Ji wrote:
Hey three, that's exactly as many as I was shooting for.

Alright. Well I suppose first things first is to start with basic character ideas. What do you guys want to be?

Businessman
Back to top Go down
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: Fallout-Fate experiment   Fallout-Fate experiment I_icon_minitimeThu 23 May 2013, 9:05 pm

Four is as far as I'm willing to go mind you, but sure Tex.

Businessman might be hard. Most towns are basically tribals, or small farming towns. Unless you meant like someone who travels and sells things, which would be a legitimate one. Caravanning is a thing.

Now to fish for the book...

Also I'm not going to try to lie to you guys. Combat, while still a focus of this game, because this game has lovely rules for combat, is not a main focus like it is in other TTRPG's or Fallout itself. This is a game about problem solving.

When everyone is ready for their book. Post below saying so, I'll pm it to you.

Last edited by Ji on Thu 23 May 2013, 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mr Allen J
User
Mr Allen J

PostSubject: Re: Fallout-Fate experiment   Fallout-Fate experiment I_icon_minitimeThu 23 May 2013, 9:08 pm

Ji wrote:
Four is as far as I'm willing to go mind you, but sure Tex.

Businessman might be hard. Most towns are basically tribals, or small farming towns. Unless you meant like someone who travels and sells things, which would be a legitimate one. Caravanning is a thing.

Now to fish for the book...

Yeah, I want to make a caravan guy.
Back to top Go down
Snowy
Snowy

PostSubject: Re: Fallout-Fate experiment   Fallout-Fate experiment I_icon_minitimeThu 23 May 2013, 9:12 pm

I'm probably going with something resembling Ford for my character this time. Namely, renegade robot.
Back to top Go down
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: Fallout-Fate experiment   Fallout-Fate experiment I_icon_minitimeThu 23 May 2013, 9:13 pm

Getting the Iron Man sig of yours made this post rather lovely, Eo.

Works for me thus far.
Back to top Go down
Patches
Advisor
Patches

PostSubject: Re: Fallout-Fate experiment   Fallout-Fate experiment I_icon_minitimeSat 25 May 2013, 9:48 am

So what's the plan so far? Like, what's gonna happen?

I'm wording this completely wrong.

I'm just trying to figure out where our characters are gonna be and how they're gonna work.
Back to top Go down
Snowy
Snowy

PostSubject: Re: Fallout-Fate experiment   Fallout-Fate experiment I_icon_minitimeSat 25 May 2013, 12:09 pm

If Lonestar's character has a semi-reliable supply of techy parts, that's probably a good part of why I'm sticking around. I've been Mr. Fix-it before (by virtue of a high INT score), but since if things go really badly, then I'll be the one needing someone to fix me, not sure if this is a good idea anymore.

Long story short, I'm not sure if/how much we're tweaking the skill list, so I'm still working on how best to put my character together to specialize in what.

One thing I'm very sure of, though, is that we'll need someone other than me to do the talking.
Back to top Go down
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: Fallout-Fate experiment   Fallout-Fate experiment I_icon_minitimeSat 25 May 2013, 9:00 pm

I am going to leave the skill list in the book as it is. Stunts are how you differentiate the true difference between various parts of Lore, for instance.

As for party cohesion, remember Eo, that's what the third aspect phase is for. You have all in fact worked together already. We'll discuss how, later.

Don't worry about specializing yet though. It's a lot better if we work more towards flavor. So like first objective, everyone give me your High Concept and your Trouble.

Tex, I'll send you the thing you need for any of that to make sense.
Back to top Go down
Shade
Common Poster
Shade

PostSubject: Re: Fallout-Fate experiment   Fallout-Fate experiment I_icon_minitimeSat 25 May 2013, 9:54 pm

Ah, too late to the party for this one. I'll be interested in seeing how this turns out.

Is too late to the party even an expression? I don't think it is. I need to sleep.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fallout-Fate experiment   Fallout-Fate experiment I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fallout-Fate experiment
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next