WAIT! Without signing in or registering onto the forum, you will only be able to see a limited amount of our forum's content. To see everything that we have to offer, please sign in or register. If you are new to the forum and wish to register, it is recommended to be at least 13 years old as profanity and mature discussion goes without prohibition under normal circumstances. Thank you!
WAIT! Without signing in or registering onto the forum, you will only be able to see a limited amount of our forum's content. To see everything that we have to offer, please sign in or register. If you are new to the forum and wish to register, it is recommended to be at least 13 years old as profanity and mature discussion goes without prohibition under normal circumstances. Thank you!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Forum revival in process, stay tuned!
If you have trouble logging in or have lost your password, email an administrator.
If you have an idea on how to improve the forum, please post your suggestions!

Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC

Go down 
+10
Admiral Ji
Patches
Zorthax
brendan
Alex
€rim
Balu
Surprise
Rachel
Shade
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Rachel
Frequent Poster
Rachel

Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed 16 Nov 2011, 2:55 pm

Skyrim is awesome, and I haven't done much yet. It's just... Gah.

Also, I am (unfortunately only) 430 some pages into Inheritance. Good book so far... And Galbatorix is pretty much exactly how I imagined him. And with that I shut up.
Back to top Go down
Zorthax
User

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed 16 Nov 2011, 4:44 pm

Oh yeah, Inheritance is out, isnt it?.... I really need to remember to illegally download that sometime.

I am so tempted to copy the entire conversation about Eragon from Fallback to this thread..... but then I would never get to know if it develops in the same way, so...

Speaking of videogames, lets have a vote: What is the coolest personal vehicle in any game?

According to a survey taken by Nintendo Power, its the motorcycle of Shadow from Sonic, but what do the rest of you think?
Back to top Go down
TheNarrator
Common Poster
TheNarrator

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed 16 Nov 2011, 4:54 pm

Shadow the Hedgehog is probably one of the most overrated, most revolting characters ever released in the Sonic franchise, and Sega's line of games as a whole.

*waits for the flaming to begin*

On a completely different discussion, ZOMG CHECK DIS SHIOLA OUT
Back to top Go down
THE Derp Dragon
User
THE Derp Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu 17 Nov 2011, 2:08 am

Anyone play Killing Floor or know of any good PvE games?
Back to top Go down
Wanderer
User
Wanderer

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu 17 Nov 2011, 8:41 am

Zorthax wrote:
Is anyone else here into Tamora Pierce? I love her writing, even though I've only read one of her storylines. 10 books consisting of 2 quartets, a stand alone and what I think is the beginning of a new series, but I'm not sure. Yeah, I just love the way she presents magic, the multifaceted nature of it and all.

How about Anne Rice, the Vampire Chronicles? I havent read all of them, but I do love what I have read so far. Its like twilight for grownups. You know, with scary vampires, a good plot and characters with depth.

And Psycho-Wizard? I'm gonna guess that you are, in order, The Earth, a Tree, and a Tombstone.

When I was about 12 years old I read Interview With the Vampire and the Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice. Some good stuff there. Of course no vampire book will ever beat the original Bram Stoker's Dracula. Fuck all this Twilight shit.

Never read any of those other books though sorry. Just your Anne Rice name drop caught my attention.

Lol, I think its funny when I see what some of ya'll read. Lots of contemporary fantasy (in my opinion, contemporary garbage.) So I will present you with a small list of books I have read that might be at all ya'lls reading levels. All of them are timeless classics that will endure long after your nonsense books like Twilight and Eragon have disappeared from memory.

#1 J.R.R. Tolkein --- The Silmarillion, The Hobbit, the Lord of the Rings. (Yea ya'll probably seen LOTR movies, maybe a few of you read the books too. I was blessed to read the books just about one year before the movies appeared. The books are far superior, I don't think I have to tell you that. The one fewest people read is Silmarillion and they can never make a movie out of it, but by Eru it is one of the greatest of the LOTR universe.) You like Eragon? Well fuck Eragon and fuck all this other bullshit fantasy you are reading. Tolkein is king, and if you never read Tolkein you cannot call yourself a fan of fantasy.

#2 Homer---- The Illiad and The Odyssey. (I am actually re-re-reading the Odysee at the moment. Homer's epic works the Iliad and Odyssey are the very FIRST works of literature in Western Civilization. Both are epic stories beyond compare, but the Odyssey is probably my favorite. For the sake of your interest, Odysseus is my #1 favorite greek hero of all time. He is my fav. hero cause unlike prima donnas Hercules, Theseus, and Perseus, Odysseus is only a mortal with no divine parents and in fact the gods curse him and he has to use his own will and cunning to return to his homeland of Ithaca. Also one of the rawest ending for a story ever. No wonder this shit is still being read roughly 3000 years after it was written.)

#3 Aldous Huxley---- Brave New World (A genius masterpiece of the 20th Century. Super short book, should only take a skilled reader a day or two to finish it. Modern Library ranked this as #5 best piece of 20th century literature. Brave New World tells the story of a futuristic utopian Earth. Religion is abolished and hedonism and science are king. The story opens up with two main characters Lenina and Bernard as they explain their world before they find a man named John the Savage who lived outside of the utopian society and when he is brought to the utopia he is horrified by what he sees. Also one of the greatest endings for a book ever written. Made my eyes pop out of my skull when I read this book. Personally I think that our future might end up a lot like this book. For further interest the author's brothers and cousins were illustrious early 20th century elites who helped make Eugenics a reality. My friend Nick asked me to pick a book out for him to read. I chose this book. He was skeptical at first, but after he read it it became his favorite book ever.)

#4 George Orwell ---- Animal Farm (Lol, if you are familiar with the ever famous George Orwell, you probably would have thought I'd suggest his most famous masterpiece, 1984. 1984 is a good book don't get me wrong, but I personally thought it was over-hyped. Animal Farm is Orwell's real genius book. Porbably one of the shortest books I ever read. It taks me approximately 4 hours to read it cover to cover. Animal Farm is a wonderful little book that explains Communism and eventually Totalitarianism with talking animals who overthrow their abusive farmer and create Animal Farm. Short, but powerful. I think some schools make you read this book, but mine didn't, so perhaps some of you have read it all ready.)

#5 Dante Aligheri---- The Inferno (I put this up more or less as a challenge for ya'll. Some of my catholic friends have told me that this is compulsory reading for catholic private schools. I am a poor son of a bitch though, so I went to public school, but I read this anyways when I was 15. The Inferno is one huge poem. In fact it is the greatest poem ever written. Dante Aligheri is Italy's national poet, and in my opinion the greatest poet in history (yea I said it! Fuck Shakespeare, Shakespeare could only rip off greek and celtic myths or make plays/poems on history. Shakespeare didn't have a bone of originality in his body.) Dante's Inferno is highly advanced reading, it is without a doubt the hardest thing on this list you could try to read. Highly symbolic, the Inferno is the immortal epic of Dante's journey through Hell guided by the dead Roman poet Virgil. Dante describes Hell, its punishments, and many famous mythological and historical heroes' torments in the dark putrid realm of Hell. This is the poem that made him Italy's National Poet, so you know its fuckin' good.)

#6 Sir Thomas Malory----- Le Morte D'Arthur (Well I just had to put this up there. Sir Thoman Malory was a british knight in prison sometime in the 1400s. While enjoying the luxuries of the dungeon he composed one of the best known pieces of fantasy ever. Le Morte D'Arthur is THE story of King Arthur as well as his Knight of the Round Table. Since it is in ye olde english it is somewhat difficult to read for an unseasoned reader. But I mean, come on, ya'll probably know at least some of the Arthurian legend, so here it is, the actual book!)

#7 F. Scott Fitzgerald---- The Great Gatsby (Okay okay, I know I said I was gonna give you a list of fantasy, but hot damn, I can't help but promote my favorite novel of all time. I could present you all with an even bigger list of realistic fiction, but instead I'll just throw out the best of the best (Also since I know ya'll are kids you probably haven't matured into realistic fiction yet). Many schools have this as compulsory reading, my school did. First time I read it I didn't like it much. A few years later I pulled the book off the shelf and re-read it and it became my very favorite ever. If you have all ready read Gatsby, go buy it and read it again. I read this damn book at minimum twice a year. Its not long and at most should take you 2-3 nights before bed to read. Ranked at #2 on the Modern Library list, this is THE American Novel. If you are American this book tells you everything about what it means to be a true American. If you're not American, well through this book you may have a small sample of what the American Dream is. Oh I love it! Does Gatsby achieve the American Dream? What exactly is the American Dream? All these questions are raised when you put down this book. It might not be fantasy, but goddamn, you will be hard pressed to find something better.)

Okay, whew, what a list. Now I know what you folks are thinking. Why should I read any of these? To drive my point home I give you 7 reasons to read at least one of these 7 great works of literature.

#1--- Because reading is awesome. After all how the hell can you RP if you can't read?

#2--- Because I'm Pat The Wanderer and I've read more books than you have taken shits. So take my word for it.

#3--- Because all these books have either influenced other great writers, musicians, movie makers, video game makers, etc. You can find allusions to just about all these books in various forms of media. And you won't understand those allusons unless you read the damn books.

#4--- It shall advance your reading level thus enabling you to read other great works of literature.

#5--- Great way to fill up boredom time is reading.

#6--- If you are a writer, then your mind will be stimulated and blossom with ideas from these books. Your own writing shall magnify and become more enriched.

#7--- People who don't read are stupid. People who read all this contemporary garbage out nowadays (a lot of which I see ya'll talking about) are just as stupid as people who can't read. I know it sounds harsh, but it is true. You can read Twilight and Eragon, and all these other books that will be forgotten in a few years time. Seriously, you know any Twilight fans that are actually literature-savvy? Nope didn't think so. You and I both know they are just as fuckin' retarded as people who can't read. There are books which are just written to force feed the masses commercial garbage (these are the books that for the most part you guys read.) Then there are books that change the world (the books I've read and listed.) Yea I know, its harsh, and many of you will probably be offended by this. Sorry folks, but take it from the most avid reader on this forum; If you keep reading garbage you might as well not waste your time trying to read anything at all.
If you read the classics, your mind will expand and you will know what is literature and what is just commercial fodder made to keep you stupid and spending money.

If anyone likes this list (or even if you don't) then I'm always happy to share more great titles with ya'll. I just thought I'd start out reccomending some simple stuff that I know you all have the ability to read (except Dante's Inferno which is actually quite a challenging read and I put up there more or less for the more advanced readers who yearn for a challenging read)
Back to top Go down
Patches
Advisor
Patches

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu 17 Nov 2011, 9:45 am

I'd also like to point out that Eragon is a ripoff of Star Wars in a fantasy setting. Props to Paolini for writing something that big at a young age, but that doesn't mean he's a mature writer.

I've read LotR twice, but not the Silmarillion; heard that was rather dull.
I've read most of the Odyssey, minus a couple of books.
I've heard a lot about Brave new World, but haven't found the chance to read it.
Animal Farm was fantastic, waaaaay better than 1984 (which is basically, they fuck, and then they get brainwashed. Watch out for totalitarianism, or it will eat you. The end.)
I've read the inferno, but not the rest of the Divine Comedy. I hear Paradiso is actually much better, but it's hard to beat the inscription on the gates of Hell.
La Morte de Arthur sounds cool, hadn't heard of it before.
Also haven't read the Great Gatsby.

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein was epic. People should definitely read that.
Back to top Go down
https://rpproject.rpg-board.net
Zorthax
User

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu 17 Nov 2011, 11:39 am

Animal farm I found to be an excellent novel, with subtle symbolism and a tip of the hat to the historical. I thought it was something of a tragedy, with the animals being suckered into more slavery without even knowing it was happening until it was too late. My favorite character was Benjamin, with his famous pre-shadowing: None of you have seen a dead donkey...

I too have read LotR, however I have never gotten around to reading the hobbit or the simarillon. Personally I thought that they were quite tedious, it took me almost a week per book to read. Not because I found them challenging or uninteresting, just tedious.

Iliad and Odessy I am ashamed to admit are still on my 'to read' list, it is hard to find time for the classics.

Though I note two classics that I have read are absent from your list, one of which is rather conspicuously absent:

I understand why you wouldnt have The Hunchback of Notre Dame on that list, its not a more popular classic, but it is an amazing novel with a surprisingly accurate historical representation and real message about the power of love and acceptance.

But I do note the conspicuous absence of The Count of Monte Cristo. It is one of the only classical novels ever to have been represented in every possible media format including animated TV series. Not to mention that it is a drop-dead amazing book. I tried to read it when I was 12, but thought it wasnt above my reading level it was nonetheless beyond my comprehension. The subtleties escaped me completely, and so I couldnt understand or appreciate the book. Nowadays when I read that, as I like too once a year, I can love every subtle political flair that Alexander Dumas wrote so skillfully. One of my favorite things was the way he kept Nortier around, I did not see that one coming.

And yes, I do take offense to your monologue, however none of it is directed at the novels mentioned. I love the classics, and think they should be mandatory reading for all literate people.

And may I say that you rather harshly juxtapose your own claim that those who read the classics are better writers with your consistent referrals to "y'all". Not exactly a classic.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moving back to contemporary literature, are there any other Artemis Fowl readers on this?

How about the Animorphs? Anyone else read those?

Deltora? Who here likes those series?

Let the record show that I am aware that all these are childrens books, but let the record also show that though I am 20, my autism puts my emotional maturity at roughly 12.
Back to top Go down
Rachel
Frequent Poster
Rachel

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu 17 Nov 2011, 3:12 pm

*shrug*

I just like dragons. Sure, I've been meaning to read a couple of the books you mentioned, Pat, but hey. I've only just begun reading my books again, and getting away from here more often. I won't defend the Inheritance cycle and certainly not Twilight.

I read books for pleasure, not to point out every last flaw in them. I also am not making any arguments, so please, if you find this comment insulting or whatever, just don't respond.
Back to top Go down
brendan
Common Poster
brendan

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu 17 Nov 2011, 3:24 pm

I've read an Artemis Fowl book. Can't forever remember which but I did a while ago.
And a Deltora one. xP
I may have read an Animorph one at some point. Not sure.
Back to top Go down
http://pkmnheartgold.tumblr.com
Zorthax
User

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu 17 Nov 2011, 4:38 pm

Dont worry Demon, liking dragons is never a bad thing.

How about Dr. Suess? Any fans of his lurking about?
Back to top Go down
Shade
Common Poster
Shade

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu 17 Nov 2011, 5:36 pm

Top books?

The Road, by Cormac McCarthy. Easily the most brilliant book I've ever read. It doesn't read like a book, it's literally like thoughts being sent straight into your head, as nerdy as that sounds. Probably the most emotionally powerful book I've read.

The Gunslinger, Stephen King. Haven't quite gotten around to the rest of the series, so no spoilers, but it's a good read. A bit dull to begin with, and the writing is confusing at times, but overall good.

Animal Farm is amazing. He nailed his point perfectly with the scene about the horse, whatshisname, being sent to the glue factory.
Spoiler:

Julius Caesar I really liked. Shakespear, albeit understandable Shakespeare.

Watchmen, Alan Moore raises very good moral issues, and it has incredible characterization, plot, and artwork.
Back to top Go down
Patches
Advisor
Patches

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu 17 Nov 2011, 5:45 pm

The horse's name was Boxer.
Back to top Go down
Shade
Common Poster
Shade

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu 17 Nov 2011, 5:51 pm

Ah.
Back to top Go down
Wanderer
User
Wanderer

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu 17 Nov 2011, 6:05 pm

AlaskanWyvern wrote:
I'd also like to point out that Eragon is a ripoff of Star Wars in a fantasy setting. Props to Paolini for writing something that big at a young age, but that doesn't mean he's a mature writer.

I've read LotR twice, but not the Silmarillion; heard that was rather dull.
I've read most of the Odyssey, minus a couple of books.
I've heard a lot about Brave new World, but haven't found the chance to read it.
Animal Farm was fantastic, waaaaay better than 1984 (which is basically, they fuck, and then they get brainwashed. Watch out for totalitarianism, or it will eat you. The end.)
I've read the inferno, but not the rest of the Divine Comedy. I hear Paradiso is actually much better, but it's hard to beat the inscription on the gates of Hell.
La Morte de Arthur sounds cool, hadn't heard of it before.
Also haven't read the Great Gatsby.

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein was epic. People should definitely read that.

Check out Brave New World if you have all ready read 1984 and Animal Farm, it is a good next step for you. Brave New World is like the opposite of 1984 and on acid lol. It is a book that shall blow your mind clean out of your skull.

And omfg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mary Shelley's Frankenstein I have not read that since I was like 8 or 9!!!! Thank you comrade! I am gonna go dig that up or buy it when I finish re-reading Odyssey (likely tonight or tomorrow.)

Next

To Zorthax: I too liked Benjamin in Animal Farm. Not onyl does he grant foreshadow, but Benjamin's place is the person in the society that knows that the system is wrong, but he doesn't do shit about it.

I have to defend great LOTR though. I understand the first few times you read LOTR you just read it as a kinda adventure story. You're first time you just read it cause you don't know what happens and you gotta know what happens. Second time you want to read an adventure story, maybe even third and fourth time. Then you read the Silmarillion and Hobbit and you realize the grandiosity of LOTR. All those annoying songs and poems in LOTR, a lot of those are stories of the First Age and a lot of the stuff that happens in Silmarillion. Then in LOTR you begin to realize the grandness of the characters.

The best and most greatest character of LOTR is of course.....The One Ring!!!!!! A symbol of sin, addiction, power, corruption, all evil!!!! Think about it. Look at the Ring's effect on Gollum who craves and has his mind broken by the Ring so much that ultimately it consumes him. Look at Isildur the man that took it for greed. Look at Boromir, the man that wants the Ring as a weapon against Sauron. Saruman would have the Ring so that he can become pretty much Sauron (In Silmarillion you find out Gandalf, Saruman, Sauron are a race called Maiar.) You have the wise Mithrandir, Elrond, Aragorn and others who because they are too good and simply refuse the Ring entirely. Galadriel though she ultimately "passes the test" as she says in the book when se fights the urge to take the Ring when Frodo offers it. Then you have Bilbo, he foudn the Ring, but because he did not know what it was trully and because he had no real ultimately desire he began to slip almost like Gollum, but ultimately Bilbo freely surrenders the Ring. The you have Frodo, the seemingly main character who bears the Ring so long, but in the end what happens? Frodo succumbs to the Ring at the last minute!!! Only good Sam took and bore the Ring and was not tainted by it and gave it back without malice. And of course because the books are better than the movie one of my other favorites Tom Bombadil even puts on the Ring and nothing happens to him because he's so powerful the Ring is like a silly fuckin' trinket to him. Tom bombadil all makes me wonder if he is supposed to be Eru or one of the Valar.

Well unless you're a total Tolkein geek like me most of above is gibberish. Valar? Eru? Maiar? These are all thigns you discover in Silmarillion. Funny Sauron is actually just the lieutanant of the most powerful evil force in Silmarillion, the great and evil Melkor.

Whew, well now that I am pretty LOTR geeked out in terms of your suggestions. Never read those actually, you have two upped me!! Lol, I really want to read Count of Monte Cristo though. I never seen the movies, and I have heard good stuff, but I always forget to buy it, and now Borders is shut down lol. I will get that book one day though.

Also, idk if Animorphs are really contemporary. I don't know if they are or not because I stopped reading them in like 5th grade and i do not know if they are still going. Lol, I forget most of the series except for the one bigger novel they did called Andalite Chronicles. I mean it was pretty damn basic stuff, but I actually loved the plot for tha Andalite Chronicles, I can still remember that book and that's one I might have to dig out as well for the sake of nostalgia. Now the Animorphs series as a whole, that shit I kinda find commercial and garbagey. Its like watching some teen drama bullshit, but instead you're reading it.

I never even heard of the other series you mentioned.

Next

To Archdemon: Like Dragons? Read the Hobbit!!!! It's like the 20th century fantasy epic about killing a dragon and stealing its gold!!!! The Hobbit looks big, but its a quick read. First time I read it I got sucked right in and read it straight through in a night. Taking it casually, you probably could easily finish The Hobbit off in two or three nights. The Hobbit is also a good start point if you plan to read LOTR as well. Also good because I think they are going to make The Hobbit movie soon. The Silmarillion is sort of something like itself. The Hobbit and LOTR take place in Tolkein's 3rd Age. Silmarillion is 1st Age. So you can read it either first before LTOR and understand a lot more of Tolkein's universe, or you can read LOTR like I did then stumble upon Silmarillion then re0read LOTR and be amazed for a solid decade and counting.

(guess I didn't geek out all the LOTRishness after all)

Next

Back to Zorthax: We can all agree Dr. Suess is the bomb. Pretty cool too that Theodore Giesel was a WWII propagandist and all his children's books are laced with propaganda. I love it!

Whew.....

Okay ya'll wanna play rough?

Go nonfiction ancient Roman writers!!! I highly reccomend Lives of the Caesars by Suetonius. It chronicles (for Suetonius' perspective and propaganda at least) the lives of the Roman Emperors from Julius Caesar to Domitian. I think any history buffs will love it. I think if you just like ancient rome for all its fucked up glory you probably at least be shocked reading the accounts of such Roman monsters as Tiberius, Caligula, and the most insane.. Nero.

Or if you want to switch it up and travel into my personal favorite genre of Realistic Fiction----20th Century Classics. You could always read Johnny Got His Gun. That's a wild novel. You like Metallica comrades? Maybe you know the basic plot all ready?

Yup that's right One is about Johnny Got His Gun. Liek I said, you knwo the classics you will see them referred to everywhere! Not only is this song about the book, but all the lyrics are direct quotes from the book!
Back to top Go down
Rachel
Frequent Poster
Rachel

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu 17 Nov 2011, 6:21 pm

Oh, I've read LotR and the Hobbit. It's been a good while, so I can't remember everything... But I liked the bear-man in the Hobbit and Tom Bombadil in LotR. I always liked Tom...

This third Tolkien book isn't one I've heard of though... I'll look into it.
Back to top Go down
Wanderer
User
Wanderer

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu 17 Nov 2011, 6:35 pm

Oh yea damn, I forgot all about the bearman, Beorn I think is his name, something like that at least. And hell yea I always liked Tom. My favorite chapters of all of LOTR is when the hobbits go through the Withywindle Valley. Though un-literarylike that's mostly because I tripped balls on magic mushrooms when I was 16 though and had a crazy vision of being in the Withywindle while I sat outside by a stream at a bonfire.

The Silmarillion is good, I didn't care for it much at first when I got it, but after all the grandness of Tolkein's literary universe I appreciated Silmarillion a hell of a lot more. The reason they can't do Silmarillion movie is because its set up like a mythology essentially. Personally, if I had the money I'd say it make a good anime-type tv series. Also there are dragons in Silmarillion. Indeed, it actually explains how the dragons came to be! Their king Glauraung (Smaug's daddy I believe) tears up a lot of shit until he is killed felled by the great hero Turin. Shelob's mom Ungoliant is also in the Silmarillion.

Going back to those good literary references. If you like the band Blind Guardian at all their album Nightfall in Middle Earth is a concept album telling you a good bulk of the central fables to the plot.

My favorite Silmarillion character....Feanor the creator of the Silmarils (three gems which consequently lend their name to the book.) I mentioned this supposed great evil in Tolkein's universe named Melkor, well he eventually gets the name Morgoth. Feanor gives this nickname to him.

Back to top Go down
Zorthax
User

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu 17 Nov 2011, 8:48 pm

A classics man like you, and you've never read The Count of Monte Cristo? Scandalous!

I have to say, I feel so unbelievably out-nerded right now with all your superiour LotR knowledge. And its the second time this week! Just this past monday at the D&D club our DM couldnt come (passed out, dont judge), and so we played Magic for the night. They all have entire sets memorized, its unbelievable. I'm still impressing myself by remembering what cards are in my decks and what they can do, forget the rest of the Magic universe.

Alright, heres a classic novel that a dissapointingly small number of people have read: The Bible. Anyone here ever get into it?

I dont want to bring up any big religion debate, those tend to get nasty in a hurry, but the simple fact is that it is provably the all-time best selling book the world over.

The next time I post here it will be a long one about one of my favorite authors and the universe of my favorite series.
Back to top Go down
Patches
Advisor
Patches

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu 17 Nov 2011, 9:03 pm

I've read every book but Song of Solomon. Waited to read that until I got older, never got around to it before I left the faith.
Back to top Go down
Wanderer
User
Wanderer

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri 18 Nov 2011, 4:17 am

Hell yea the Bible is epic no matter from what perspective you read it. I can't say I've read the whole thing cause I usually whip the Bible out read one of the Books in it and then put it down again. In terms of just sheer good storytelling I'd say Judges and Samuel 1 and 2 are my favorite. In terms of actual belief and spirituality the Gospels are very inspiring.

I always liked Gideon from the book of Judges. He goes around ripping down altars to Baal and crushing Philistines. Gideon is pretty badass.
Back to top Go down
Surprise
Frequent Poster
Surprise

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri 18 Nov 2011, 9:04 am

SPOILER! Jesus dies.

XD. whenever I see a conversation about the bible, I feel the need to say that.
Back to top Go down
brendan
Common Poster
brendan

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri 18 Nov 2011, 11:18 am

Joural wrote:
SPOILER! Jesus dies.

XD. whenever I see a conversation about the bible, I feel the need to say that.
why would you ruin it for me ;n;

lololo
Back to top Go down
Surprise
Frequent Poster
Surprise

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri 18 Nov 2011, 1:01 pm

because your sig requires additional fluttershy.
Back to top Go down
brendan
Common Poster
brendan

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri 18 Nov 2011, 1:14 pm

Fluttershy <3
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC - Page 5 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5