WAIT! Without signing in or registering onto the forum, you will only be able to see a limited amount of our forum's content. To see everything that we have to offer, please sign in or register. If you are new to the forum and wish to register, it is recommended to be at least 13 years old as profanity and mature discussion goes without prohibition under normal circumstances. Thank you!
WAIT! Without signing in or registering onto the forum, you will only be able to see a limited amount of our forum's content. To see everything that we have to offer, please sign in or register. If you are new to the forum and wish to register, it is recommended to be at least 13 years old as profanity and mature discussion goes without prohibition under normal circumstances. Thank you!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Forum revival in process, stay tuned!
If you have trouble logging in or have lost your password, email an administrator.
If you have an idea on how to improve the forum, please post your suggestions!

RPP Chat Thread 2.0

Go down 
+11
€rim
Patches
Sadie
JazzTap
Admiral Ji
Rachel
Szemetlada
Snowy
flametitan
Ømnivalence
Shade
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
JazzTap
User
JazzTap

RPP Chat Thread 2.0 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread 2.0   RPP Chat Thread 2.0 - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Apr 2015, 12:04 am

So the Federation's mainly there to stabilize tensions back to 'cold war' (the better to exploit human territories, maybe), in addition to advancing tech (say, in the process of arming security forces)? Could be topical. (Or, not quite what you're going for.)

Text renditions of varying degrees of SFX failure sound promising. Framing it as a TV show suggests that we might try to recover viewers (and hence budget) by playing up any given dramatic scene, producing ad spots, and maybe making less-than-seamless changes to the plot.
Back to top Go down
flametitan
Refugee
flametitan

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread 2.0   RPP Chat Thread 2.0 - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Apr 2015, 12:19 am

A part of me feels inspired that I should take out of this a Star Wars meets Fallout setting, even though that has nothing to do with your setting idea.
Back to top Go down
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread 2.0   RPP Chat Thread 2.0 - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Apr 2015, 12:22 am

Basically. I was also chucking sci fi tropes and seeing what stuck. It wasn't meant to be topical, (the idea is four years old in my head.), but it very well could be. Not that it matters much, the factions are mostly there to give you employers, create a difference kind of tension in the region, and maybe eventually give the players something to semi-ally with.

In scope, the game would probably play like firefly, you're not doing anything grand at first, just trying not to run out of cash and starve/fail to pay your debts. It's when you eventually see things you weren't supposed to that things get interesting.

Yeah! That was part of the idea. I was going to base the plot over a number of 'seasons" (it'd be mostly seamless in universe), and at the end of each season we get more and more mainstream, and pick up more money.

You certainly could, fallout is an AU about 50's/60's era tensions ballooning into a futuristic world. There's not much of Star Wars in my setting though, more Star Trek.

In terms of races I, as usual, am willing to let players be whatever they want as long as they pick one of the rules out of the book. (If we did this as a game, and not just a standard RP. I'd prefer to make a game of it, but we'd need to see how many others would too.)
Back to top Go down
flametitan
Refugee
flametitan

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread 2.0   RPP Chat Thread 2.0 - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Apr 2015, 12:35 am

I've heard of the slower play by post style, which sort of combines both, but it may lack some control over fairness and people have the ability to fudge rolls. Would anyone here do it? Probably not. So it is an option.

Also, I feel like people should fund this, it was made by that Eberron guy, Keith Baker: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/twogetherstudios/phoenix-dawn-command
Back to top Go down
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread 2.0   RPP Chat Thread 2.0 - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Apr 2015, 12:48 am

This forum has a built in dice roller already, courtesy of Snowy being an admin and his being into TTRPGs. (I mean, I'm an admin now too, but I wasn't when this happened. :p), so yes, our dicerollers are already fair. While they'd be rerollable if you edited your post and they were in your post, the mechanism we use just has a dummy account post your dice rolls after you.
Back to top Go down
flametitan
Refugee
flametitan

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread 2.0   RPP Chat Thread 2.0 - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Apr 2015, 1:05 am

Ooh, nice. I like this design idea.
Back to top Go down
Snowy
Patrician of Ankh-Morpork
Snowy

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread 2.0   RPP Chat Thread 2.0 - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Apr 2015, 3:22 am

You can use the roller via the "add reply" button, where it's in the options below your post editor.
Back to top Go down
http://steamcommunity.com/id/alaskanwyvern/
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread 2.0   RPP Chat Thread 2.0 - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Apr 2015, 6:02 am

So that's, probably three of you, so far? If we can talk one other person onboard, I'll greenlight this, make an OOC, and move the planning over there.

In the meantime, anyone want to come up with a ship? There's three starting ship rules bases to choose from in the rulebook none of you have, sure, but design wise. I never liked the YT series design aesthetic, and that's two of them, with the third being what the Slave 1 was. (Because, I dunno, nostalgia hammering?) So feel free to go find any picture you'd like online, the ship is a freighter, it's always a freighter, at least until you bludgeon your way to a better one. (But, once you're attached to a ship, is it really okay to swap to another one just because it's shinier, and the warpcore doesn't occasionally emit the odor of cheese fries?)
Back to top Go down
flametitan
Refugee
flametitan

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread 2.0   RPP Chat Thread 2.0 - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Apr 2015, 10:38 am

You can just take the warp core out of the shinier ship, and maybe steal the sparkles too, can't you?
Back to top Go down
Snowy
Patrician of Ankh-Morpork
Snowy

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread 2.0   RPP Chat Thread 2.0 - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Apr 2015, 3:44 pm

Or we could do as in Star Trek, and upgrade when our old ship is sacrificed in dramatic fashion.
Back to top Go down
http://steamcommunity.com/id/alaskanwyvern/
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread 2.0   RPP Chat Thread 2.0 - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Apr 2015, 4:02 pm

If it's basically the same ship, sure... But I wouldn't suggest tampering with your warpcore... Unless a 13% chance of catastrophic cascading critical collapse doesn't scare you enough...

You can get your own sparkles if you just bother to wash the ship now and again. :p

Eh, okay, fast poll: Who wants me to just crank out a token OOC now? We can get started on chargen, at least, while I try to badgerkidnappressgang acquire a fourth through my secret agent skills.
Back to top Go down
Sadie
Frequent Poster
Sadie

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread 2.0   RPP Chat Thread 2.0 - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Apr 2015, 7:11 pm

Snowy wrote:
Or we could do as in Star Trek, and upgrade when our old ship is sacrificed in dramatic fashion.

My Trek senses tingled. I am now intrigued...
Back to top Go down
http://people.ign.com/jokie155
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread 2.0   RPP Chat Thread 2.0 - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Apr 2015, 7:17 pm

This'd be closer to a Firefly than a StarTrek, but if you're interested, you're welcome to join.

I don't want any more than six, just for balancing reasons, but we've only got three at the moment.
Back to top Go down
flametitan
Refugee
flametitan

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread 2.0   RPP Chat Thread 2.0 - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Apr 2015, 7:20 pm

I just want to double check: Edge of the Empire? Also, I'd need to figure out a good backstory, too.

Though regardless, I'd be that guy trying to find an excuse to sing Stan Rogers.
Back to top Go down
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread 2.0   RPP Chat Thread 2.0 - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Apr 2015, 7:28 pm

Yeah, Edge of the Empire. I think I already sent that to you, actually.

Hey, long as you can justify it. I suggest popping open the book and going to the "obligation" page while you think up your backstory, because you're going to need an obligation, and they can be good fodder for the rest of your backstory.
Back to top Go down
flametitan
Refugee
flametitan

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread 2.0   RPP Chat Thread 2.0 - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Apr 2015, 7:32 pm

Useful. So kind of like the background mechanic in 5e D&D, and IIRC 13th age has something similar?
Back to top Go down
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread 2.0   RPP Chat Thread 2.0 - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Apr 2015, 7:36 pm

Yeah, only where it's usually helpful in 5e and 13th age, Obligation exists mostly to give the GM fodder for adventure hooks, and if your obligation comes up at the start of the session, you take some minor penalties... :p

Though having a high obligation can make it easier to meet with seedier members of the world. Just don't take out a loan from an Irish man named Jabba.
Back to top Go down
flametitan
Refugee
flametitan

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread 2.0   RPP Chat Thread 2.0 - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Apr 2015, 7:38 pm

I have the urge to tie it into Stan Rogers by inquiring if a Letter of Marque would be a viable option.
Back to top Go down
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread 2.0   RPP Chat Thread 2.0 - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Apr 2015, 7:42 pm

It'd be vehemently denied if you got caught (If you're playing a human, anyway.), and if you make your own alien race/species and give me a reason for it, sure, you totally can. I'm not sure that having one would qualify as an obligation though; unless it had consequences for not, or something. You're not exactly in a position to capture enemy ships, I should add.

The OOC/Planning thread is up, if you'd like to discuss this there, and I'm idling in the chatbox.
Back to top Go down
flametitan
Refugee
flametitan

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread 2.0   RPP Chat Thread 2.0 - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Apr 2015, 7:47 pm

I was basically going to make the backstory rip off Barrett's Privateers. They had one, but the only time their crew fought another ship it ended so poorly that the main character would be the only survivor, and would no longer actually be a privateer.
Back to top Go down
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread 2.0   RPP Chat Thread 2.0 - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu 23 Apr 2015, 7:48 pm

Valid backstory, I've got no problems with it.
Back to top Go down
flametitan
Refugee
flametitan

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread 2.0   RPP Chat Thread 2.0 - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Apr 2015, 3:23 pm

If anyone's interested, I've put together a photo album of my current dice collection.
Back to top Go down
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread 2.0   RPP Chat Thread 2.0 - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Apr 2015, 3:27 pm

I submit to your wise dice counsel. Gawking at nice dice is a gamer tradition.
Back to top Go down
flametitan
Refugee
flametitan

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread 2.0   RPP Chat Thread 2.0 - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Apr 2015, 3:33 pm

My personal favourite of the bunch: Dusty blue with gold lettering
fireball orange d6s
purple d10s
d6s pilfered from other board games
Other loose dice I have bought
Jumbo dice
The dice from D&D's starter set
And finally, a picture of all the dice except the super large ones:
group shot

Quality is because I think my parents took the good one, forcing me to use the DSi camera.

Last edited by flametitan on Sat 25 Apr 2015, 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread 2.0   RPP Chat Thread 2.0 - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat 25 Apr 2015, 3:35 pm

Really like the frosty purple D10s, it'd be great if you had a full-7 set of those babies.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread 2.0   RPP Chat Thread 2.0 - Page 4 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RPP Chat Thread 2.0
Page 4 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next