WAIT! Without signing in or registering onto the forum, you will only be able to see a limited amount of our forum's content. To see everything that we have to offer, please sign in or register. If you are new to the forum and wish to register, it is recommended to be at least 13 years old as profanity and mature discussion goes without prohibition under normal circumstances. Thank you!
WAIT! Without signing in or registering onto the forum, you will only be able to see a limited amount of our forum's content. To see everything that we have to offer, please sign in or register. If you are new to the forum and wish to register, it is recommended to be at least 13 years old as profanity and mature discussion goes without prohibition under normal circumstances. Thank you!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Forum revival in process, stay tuned!
If you have trouble logging in or have lost your password, email an administrator.
If you have an idea on how to improve the forum, please post your suggestions!

Event Horizon (Pretty Sure This Title Has Been Used Before, Maybe Even By Me)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
The Illusive Badger
User
The Illusive Badger

Event Horizon (Pretty Sure This Title Has Been Used Before, Maybe Even By Me) Empty
PostSubject: Event Horizon (Pretty Sure This Title Has Been Used Before, Maybe Even By Me)   Event Horizon (Pretty Sure This Title Has Been Used Before, Maybe Even By Me) I_icon_minitimeSun 01 Jul 2012, 3:00 pm

Event Horizon – An invisible boundary around a black hole from which nothing can escape the gravitational pull, not even light.

Introduction

So over the past few days, I've been thinking.

God, I've been doing too much superhero RP. I need to do something that will be a little bit more original or something. Or something less original and more large-scalish thing. Nobody gives a fuck about a whole bunch of superpowered teenagers dying or some shit.

What we need is a good old spacewar RP. Empire building, colinization, ethical issues, politics mixed with the occasional blowing of shit up. Ya know, Star Trek. Not Star Wars because one, it's not scientifically viable, and two, the politics in Star Wars are silly. Back to my personal roots in RP.

So anyways, lemme get a few things out of the way.

Synopsis

Your race(s) has(have) gained space travel, either through one of the other races, or through their own merit. There is no real set goal- that's for you to decide. I'm fairly certain most of you will opt for total galactic domination if you happen across the resources and power to do it. You're free to choose whether space flight has been around for centuries or oif your race is a newcomer to the interstellar stage.

Some Science Rules

-Gravity and Atmosphere. When in orbit, ships either have to keep moving to offset gravity or be equipped with proper thrusters underneath in order to offset gravity. For our fiction, ships can't magically float above cities and pepper them with missiles. For everything a ship has to do to maneuver, there has to be some sort of thrust to keep it floating or moving. Think real-life VTOLs. Planets may also have varying gravities, so your ships may need more or less thrust to merely keep afloat. There won't be "every planet magically has the same gravity" stuff.

When in atmosphere, keep in mind that atmospheres have different thicknesses. Some atmospheres may be poisonious to ground troops of one race while another race will be unaffected. Atmospheric thickness may effect how easily your ships can maneuver.

-Laser Weapons. Almost every spacewar RP has lazors. Thing is, though, lasers in many RPs are highly, highly fictionalized. For the record, I'm gonna say that lasers in this RP will behave very much like they do in real life. They require time to focus, and are not useful against moving targets due to the focus issue. They generally cause destruction via heat.

For our purposes, kenetic weapons such as railguns will be far more useful. They can be devastating in space due to the lack of gravity, and can be fitted with deadly heat-seeking, high-explosive or other specialties. Not saying you can't have lasers, just saying that the portrayal of lasers must be accurate.

Oh, and plasma weapons? Not scientifically viable either, you'd need attractors on both sides of the plasma. So no, those are actually totally banned, it makes little to no sense and the difference between them and lasers in most sci-fi is pretty small anyways.

-Ships.As said before, ships have to offset their own weight, which may go into the millions of tons. Therefore, it isn't wise to say that a big battlecruiser will have ample comfortable space, as a lot of it's size would have to go to it's thrusters. It would take a lot of power to lift something the size and weight of the Empire State Building. Therefore, it's best to invest in larger fleets of smaller ships.

-FTL. Just to make communication and interaction easier, we're gonna through all of Einstein's theorys on the speed of light being the absolute limit of speed out of the window. Because FTL is fun.

A few ground rules

-No spamming, godding, insta-kill, telepathic knowledge of everything secret, bad grammar, etc. Basic RP rules.

-Follow the science rules above. Everything else is fair game.

-You can be vulgar within reason, but seeing as it will mostly be formal politics, leave the trucker swears to ground troops, if you even want to RP their reactions.

-No graphic sexual stuff. Dunno how that will happen considering mostly formal politics, but...

-Be polite here in the IC. Except for swearing. Fucking swear as fucking much as you goddamn want, you fucking cuntass bitch. No racism, though. Racism is bad.

Except for the Irish.

Wait, no, no Irish hatred, I'm 25% Irish. >:I

-You don't even have to create a race, really. I will provide individual char sheets if you wish to merely RP as a member of a race. It could be fuuuuuuun

-Posts must be at least one paragraph (=five sentences) long. This is a literate RP. You will have to read.

-I reserve the right to grammarnazi if your post is simply unreadable.

-No roleplaying as humans. Boring. We aren't even in the Milky Way. We're in some... other... galaxy.

-Feel free to rip a species from an existing fictional universe if you're too damn lazy to make up your own. I will be less keen to accept it if it isn't clever, though. So no Borg or Sith Lords or anything. The race has to be able to follow the science rules above.

-I reserve the right to be a jackass and automatically reject your sheet merely because I don't like it.

-Feel free to take this RP as seriously or non-seriously as you wish. I'll be somewhere in between the highjinks of non-srs play and the emotional drama and tension of srs play.

-If you disagree with any of the rules above, FUCK OFF YOU'RE NOT THE OP.

Kidding, kidding. Message me about it.

That is all. Char/empire sheets will be up in a few hours. I'm gonna go eat.
Back to top Go down
http://misterturtle.deviantart.com/
The Illusive Badger
User
The Illusive Badger

Event Horizon (Pretty Sure This Title Has Been Used Before, Maybe Even By Me) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Event Horizon (Pretty Sure This Title Has Been Used Before, Maybe Even By Me)   Event Horizon (Pretty Sure This Title Has Been Used Before, Maybe Even By Me) I_icon_minitimeSun 01 Jul 2012, 8:33 pm

Empire/Alliance/Conglomerate/etc. Sheet Template (Paragraph=3-5 sentences)

Title: (The full title of the organization.)

Abbreviation: (If applicable to title. If not, leave this space blank.)

Species Associated: (Can either be one species or several. Remember, it's optional to be a newcomer to the galactic stage! Describe the appearance of the species either with a picture or a paragraph description.)

Political Philosophy: (Basically, the way the organization is run. Is there a hierarchal system? Is it democratic? Is there a council or is it in the hands of a select few? No utopias, every political philosophy has it's faults. Kindly write one paragraph.)

History: (Must be a minimum of three paragraphs. Only relevant material is needed. I don't need three paragraphs of biological evolotion. Please make this section about the inception and evolution of the society and not the species(s) involved.)

Homeword: Brief paragraph description. Remember, gravity and atmosphere compostion. Please mention those.)

Technology: (List any technologies that may become relevant and describe them. This includes starships and weapons. Remember the rules on lasers...)

Other: (Anything else. Write "I'm working on some calibrations" if you've read the science and RP rules. You have to read both. Kapishe?)

Current Sheets

None yet...

Last edited by The Illusive Badger on Mon 02 Jul 2012, 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GhostofTerra
User
GhostofTerra

PostSubject: Re: Event Horizon (Pretty Sure This Title Has Been Used Before, Maybe Even By Me)   Event Horizon (Pretty Sure This Title Has Been Used Before, Maybe Even By Me) I_icon_minitimeSun 01 Jul 2012, 8:46 pm

Interesting...so this is what you've been doing?
Back to top Go down
Szemetlada
Contributor
Szemetlada

PostSubject: Re: Event Horizon (Pretty Sure This Title Has Been Used Before, Maybe Even By Me)   Event Horizon (Pretty Sure This Title Has Been Used Before, Maybe Even By Me) I_icon_minitimeSun 01 Jul 2012, 8:54 pm

I think I'd join this. It would be my first RP of this type, pretty much.
Back to top Go down
Rachel
Frequent Poster
Rachel

PostSubject: Re: Event Horizon (Pretty Sure This Title Has Been Used Before, Maybe Even By Me)   Event Horizon (Pretty Sure This Title Has Been Used Before, Maybe Even By Me) I_icon_minitimeSun 01 Jul 2012, 9:09 pm

I had been trying to post here regarding my interest earlier, but, alas, WiFi died. So here I am, saying that yes, this interests me. Maybe it's the fact that I want to branch out. Maybe it's the fact that we're all (well, almost) friends here.

Whatever the reason, I'll be looking into joining this.
Back to top Go down
The Illusive Badger
User
The Illusive Badger

PostSubject: Re: Event Horizon (Pretty Sure This Title Has Been Used Before, Maybe Even By Me)   Event Horizon (Pretty Sure This Title Has Been Used Before, Maybe Even By Me) I_icon_minitimeSun 01 Jul 2012, 9:10 pm

Terraniux wrote:
Interesting...so this is what you've been doing?

I gave up on Crack because I felt so stupid writing it.
Back to top Go down
Rachel
Frequent Poster
Rachel

PostSubject: Re: Event Horizon (Pretty Sure This Title Has Been Used Before, Maybe Even By Me)   Event Horizon (Pretty Sure This Title Has Been Used Before, Maybe Even By Me) I_icon_minitimeMon 02 Jul 2012, 6:00 pm

*cough*

I hate to nag, but... It's been more than a few hours. How long does it take you to eat a meal, anyway?
Back to top Go down
The Illusive Badger
User
The Illusive Badger

PostSubject: Re: Event Horizon (Pretty Sure This Title Has Been Used Before, Maybe Even By Me)   Event Horizon (Pretty Sure This Title Has Been Used Before, Maybe Even By Me) I_icon_minitimeMon 02 Jul 2012, 10:05 pm

I derped.

But not for long. The char sheets are incoming! Patience. :3

Now they are heer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Event Horizon (Pretty Sure This Title Has Been Used Before, Maybe Even By Me)   Event Horizon (Pretty Sure This Title Has Been Used Before, Maybe Even By Me) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Event Horizon (Pretty Sure This Title Has Been Used Before, Maybe Even By Me)
Page 1 of 1