WAIT! Without signing in or registering onto the forum, you will only be able to see a limited amount of our forum's content. To see everything that we have to offer, please sign in or register. If you are new to the forum and wish to register, it is recommended to be at least 13 years old as profanity and mature discussion goes without prohibition under normal circumstances. Thank you!
WAIT! Without signing in or registering onto the forum, you will only be able to see a limited amount of our forum's content. To see everything that we have to offer, please sign in or register. If you are new to the forum and wish to register, it is recommended to be at least 13 years old as profanity and mature discussion goes without prohibition under normal circumstances. Thank you!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Forum revival in process, stay tuned!
If you have trouble logging in or have lost your password, email an administrator.
If you have an idea on how to improve the forum, please post your suggestions!

The reasons no game at all is truly realistic

Go down 
+7
Zorthax
Balu
Surprise
brendan
Snowy
unit111
Diamondback
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
LegionOfShadows
Refugee
LegionOfShadows

Location : Queensland, Australia (Country), Australia (Continent), Terra, Sol, Milky Way, My Stomach.

The reasons no game at all is truly realistic - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The reasons no game at all is truly realistic   The reasons no game at all is truly realistic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun 31 Mar 2013, 12:39 am

You don't really need much detail on wind, because wind by itself is inperceivable. However, once you start looking at clouds, or clouds of smoke, then you realise it's rather bad. There are a few systems which really effectively demonstrate wind, in things such as clouds, bullet trajectory and whatnot.

Unless you're implementing something that really is a core part of the game, don't bother with realism. You don't have to worry about bullet trajectory, helicopter physics /movement and GIGANTIC NUCLEAR NEUTRON BOMB EXPLOSIONS in the Elder Scrolls.

For example, I could say that every game is unrealistic because it does not have an accurate collision model for everything. And by accurate I mean down to the atom.

I could say that every game is unrealistic because it does not factor in what would happen to the Earth if gravity was suddenly switched 'off' and we lost the sun. Even puzzle games need to include that.

Back to top Go down
Surprise
Frequent Poster
Surprise

PostSubject: Re: The reasons no game at all is truly realistic   The reasons no game at all is truly realistic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun 31 Mar 2013, 1:03 am

If I was gonna come back to this, I'd adress the whole "water is air but with a filter" thing. because... no. just no. They change how the physics engine interacts in water, to change the effect of things like jumping(try it in fallout- submerge in water and jump. You go higher, then fall slower).

But I really don't want to start this up again, because it's impossible to make a truly "realistic" game. If they had airflow people would complain about the lack of proper sub-molecular randomness, or non-adherence to some such random physics convention that noone knows about except obsessives who like complaining.
Back to top Go down
Tyranzilla
User
Tyranzilla

PostSubject: Re: The reasons no game at all is truly realistic   The reasons no game at all is truly realistic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu 18 Apr 2013, 7:08 pm

unit111 wrote:
Air is a gas, not a fluid. Otherwise we'd drown or have gills.

Also, there is a Tomb Raider (gosh Tomb Raider) game where water and air are treated very differently. Can't remember the name but it was the only one I played even a bit of, the physics was interesting.
You fail physics forever.
Back to top Go down
http://forum.spore.com/jforum/posts/list/69964.page
Surprise
Frequent Poster
Surprise

PostSubject: Re: The reasons no game at all is truly realistic   The reasons no game at all is truly realistic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu 18 Apr 2013, 7:14 pm

es yes, we all know, Unit is partially retarded, and speaks without thinking.
Back to top Go down
Patches
Advisor
Patches

PostSubject: Re: The reasons no game at all is truly realistic   The reasons no game at all is truly realistic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri 19 Apr 2013, 8:59 am

Play nice.
Back to top Go down
https://rpproject.rpg-board.net
LegionOfShadows
Refugee
LegionOfShadows

Location : Queensland, Australia (Country), Australia (Continent), Terra, Sol, Milky Way, My Stomach.

PostSubject: Re: The reasons no game at all is truly realistic   The reasons no game at all is truly realistic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri 19 Apr 2013, 9:27 am

Y'know, saying interesting isn't the the same as saying realistic, Cursive...

Of course, when the physics in a game are actually retarded, they could be considered interesting... Like Arma 2. More often that you may think, a tiny rock on the ground will destroy an armored car.

IL2 Sturmovik is a very good game, the physics are simply fantastic for a game it's age. It tries incredilby hard to simulate a crappy world war 2 russian plane, and it does that very well. Stalling is common if you try to use it like an F-15, and a few shots to the wing may see it tear itself apart if you are at a high enough speed. It's very nice, if you like flight games you may be interested.

Back to top Go down
Tyranzilla
User
Tyranzilla

PostSubject: Re: The reasons no game at all is truly realistic   The reasons no game at all is truly realistic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri 19 Apr 2013, 11:44 am

LegionOfShadows wrote:

Of course, when the physics in a game are actually retarded, they could be considered interesting... Like Arma 2. More often that you may think, a tiny rock on the ground will destroy an armored car.

IL2 Sturmovik is a very good game, the physics are simply fantastic for a game it's age. It tries incredilby hard to simulate a crappy world war 2 russian plane, and it does that very well. Stalling is common if you try to use it like an F-15, and a few shots to the wing may see it tear itself apart if you are at a high enough speed. It's very nice, if you like flight games you may be interested.

I remember it as "that game which despite coming out on the same year as the loss of my virginity can still lag my custom built PC something fierce"
Back to top Go down
http://forum.spore.com/jforum/posts/list/69964.page
Surprise
Frequent Poster
Surprise

PostSubject: Re: The reasons no game at all is truly realistic   The reasons no game at all is truly realistic - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri 19 Apr 2013, 1:31 pm

LegionOfShadows wrote:

we were commenting on the 'air is not a fluid, if it was we'd drown or have gills' thing.

If you don't understand why that's dumb... go use google for a few minutes, I'm sure you'll figure it out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The reasons no game at all is truly realistic   The reasons no game at all is truly realistic - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The reasons no game at all is truly realistic
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2